Mutli-Game Deals

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.
Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:14 pm

• The code of conduct states that you cannot have Multi-Game deals. I have no problem with this but I would just like a little clarification. What exactly counts as a deal? Can you start a second game with someone with the intent of being allies? I wouldn't consider this a multi-game deal if your agreement to play together had no basis on the outcome of the first game. Am I correct in this?
    "You want to believe that there’s one relationship in life that’s beyond betrayal. A relationship that’s beyond that kind of hurt. And there isn’t."
    -Caleb Carr
    v3xt

Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:12 pm

• The rule about multi game deals is intended to ensure that everyone starts out on equal footing. Going into a game with someone intending to ally with them (whether they helped you in a past game, or you know them from outside the game) violates the spirit of that rule, if not the letter. Everyone should start the game with an equal opportunity to ally with everyone else. Deals made before the game prevents this.
    kalzekdor

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 pm

• kalzekdor wrote:The rule about multi game deals is intended to ensure that everyone starts out on equal footing. Going into a game with someone intending to ally with them (whether they helped you in a past game, or you know them from outside the game) violates the spirit of that rule, if not the letter. Everyone should start the game with an equal opportunity to ally with everyone else. Deals made before the game prevents this.

That's definitely true.
    That being said, though, if you meet the same player twice by happenstance (key word being "happenstance"), then you're allowed to use your knowledge from past experiences working with that player to ally with that player again, and that's not a multi game deal, at least in my opinion.
    The key is that you're not actively seeking to be in the same game as that former ally.
    Last edited by roadkiehl on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:08 am

• roadkiehl wrote:
    kalzekdor wrote:The rule about multi game deals is intended to ensure that everyone starts out on equal footing. Going into a game with someone intending to ally with them (whether they helped you in a past game, or you know them from outside the game) violates the spirit of that rule, if not the letter. Everyone should start the game with an equal opportunity to ally with everyone else. Deals made before the game prevents this.

That's definitely true.
    That being said, though, if you meet the same player twice by happenstance (key word being "happenstance"), then you're allowed to use your knowledge from past experiences working with that player to ally with that player again, and that's not a multi game deal, at least in my opinion.
    The key is that you're not [i]actively seeking[\i] to be in the same game as that former ally.

If you discuss an alliance after joining the game, yeah, that's fine. Going into the game with the intent to ally is the problem. A lot of threads are popping up recently about this, but it's a very difficult problem to solve.
    kalzekdor

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:29 am

• Before joining a game, I usually look at all the players' profiles and sort of decide who to ally with before joining (even though I've never played with those players before).

I typically try to ally with someone that has more experience than the average player in the game. This doesn't feel like breaking the rules to me.
    therealben

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:17 am

• therealben wrote:Before joining a game, I usually look at all the players' profiles and sort of decide who to ally with before joining (even though I've never played with those players before).

I typically try to ally with someone that has more experience than the average player in the game. This doesn't feel like breaking the rules to me.

It isn't. Why should it be against the rules if you decide with which player you want to ally? It's your decision, not a deal between you and that player. He still has to agree to your offer after you joined.
    kinc4id

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:03 am

• I just got crushed hard by 2 players with a multi game deal and have proof becuase one of them posted a prevoius game of them playing together on youtube.
    2nd player aggressed me hard opening day and I never got my self establshed since I was on defense the entire time. The1st guy pretended to be an allie with me for 3 days then suddenly turned and joined my aggressor. I never had a chance.
    It's clear they played together before and they had this plan from the start, otherwise who send 80 drillers at 1 of my starting factories day 1 ?
    So i've reported them, any idea if there's consequences ? I did not get off to a fair start by any means.
    colfax jones

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:33 am

• colfax jones wrote:I just got crushed hard by 2 players with a multi game deal and have proof becuase one of them posted a prevoius game of them playing together on youtube.
    2nd player aggressed me hard opening day and I never got my self establshed since I was on defense the entire time. The1st guy pretended to be an allie with me for 3 days then suddenly turned and joined my aggressor. I never had a chance.
    It's clear they played together before and they had this plan from the start, otherwise who send 80 drillers at 1 of my starting factories day 1 ?
    So i've reported them, any idea if there's consequences ? I did not get off to a fair start by any means.

Ah, see this is the grey area.
    There's nothing wrong with allying with the same person again if it's worked before.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:13 am

• I looked at a few other threads, and think the random ranked matches are a good idea.
    Both joining the same game with a deal in place is just unfair.
    colfax jones

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:34 pm

• I have to revive this thread. The Code of Conduct is already fairly small and I cannot BELIEVE this rule has a grey area so large it may never be applicable!

In my current game, it was just revealed that the two winning players were allies from the start, because they are "best friend in real life". They claim it is okay to play with friends since there is a feature to invite them, and to be honest I think they have a point and this needs clarification!!

To the question "does it break the code to play with friends?", the answer is most certainly "no", otherwise there would be no such friendlist feature. And eventually if you play with friends, this other situation is bound to happen "does it break the code to be allies with friends?": the answer should also be "No", makes no sense to refuse an alliance because you happen to know the person.
    BUT then there is just a very thin line to cross to decide right from the start to be allies! And to the question "Does it break the code to be allies BECAUSE you're friends?", well, definitely "YES", I think it's the whole point of the rule forbidding multi-game deals! Even if there may or may not have proceeded that way in previous games, the result is the same: we were not on an equal foot right from the start.

I was looking for clarification on this forum and all I found was this topic, which tends to suggest that...but I need a definite answer: Can I report them for being allies because they are friends?
    If you tell me "No", then you may as well delete the no-multigame-deals rule from the Code of Conduct because I cannot see in what kinds of situations it would actually be applicable.
    ruka

Next

Return to Questions

Information