Detonation of a mine doesn't lose 20% np?

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.

• I had a game with a mine swap
    He took it from me. I lost 20%
    Then my arriving martyr detonated it.
    He didn't lose 20%?
    Of course I can't prove that because the clock winding mechanic doesn't show the np changing...
    jellies

• That's correct. From the rulebook:

If you lose control of a mine, you also lose 20% of your Neptunium...

Well, I see this is pretty vague, but you can say when your mine gets destroyed you don't lose control of the mine, you lose the complete mine. It's correct that a player only loses np if his mine gets caputred, not when it gets destroyed. Could be made clearer in the rules.
    kinc4id

• This is unintuitive
    Lose control of your mine I sort of understand how that means 20% of your stock is lost as a punishment. Even though the winner doesn't get it. ( Which is a bit silly. ).

However if a mine is destroyed the loss penalty should also apply.
    jellies

• The thinking behind blowing up a mine and not being penalized is a "scorched earth" style defense.

Sometimes blowing everything up is better than losing the 20%.
    "If we don't know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions." - Colonel Goodhead
    Braxo

• That's fine But I can't blow up my own mine.
    Only if someone attacks and I have a martyr sitting there
    In which case they wold not attack.

However I can blow up someone's mine by sending a martyr and a larger force of subs. But they don't lose 20% in that situation.

I think its one of those things that wasn't thought through now is justified somehow.
    jellies

• jellies wrote:That's fine But I can't blow up my own mine.
    Only if someone attacks and I have a martyr sitting there
    In which case they wold not attack.

However I can blow up someone's mine by sending a martyr and a larger force of subs. But they don't lose 20% in that situation.

I think its one of those things that wasn't thought through now is justified somehow.

It was certainly thought through because it was raised very early in the beta testing and it was decided that this was the intended outcome.

And I don't understand your comment that you can't blow up your own mine. If somebody is attacking you, you can move a martyr to the mine and let it explode if you decide there is no other way to retain control of it. You can't blow up your own mine if nobody is attacking you, however, why would you want to blow it up if nobody is attacking you...
    Champinoman

Return to Questions

Information