Random Map Question

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.
Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:30 am

• I joined a random game the other day and soon after it started discovered that generators are in very short supply. In a 10 player game we have 30 generators. The game was created by a Level One player so it wasn’t customised. It certainly requires a different approach to strategy because everyone is capping at 300 drillers very quickly.

I was expecting so have a random/normal distribution of factory’s/generators. With the ability of people to customise maps, surely a normal/random map should have a normal/random (but even) distribution of Factory’s & generators?

Does this distribution happen a lot or have I just landed in a freak scenario?
    timsinsal

Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:36 am

• Same on me. The amount of factory is greater than the amount of generator. The game has started a week ago. The version of the game when it is created does not have an ability to customize the map. It happens before actually
    generalista

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:34 am

• generalista wrote:Same on me. The amount of factory is greater than the amount of generator. The game has started a week ago. The version of the game when it is created does not have an ability to customize the map. It happens before actually

Hi Generalista, thank you for your reply. I'm disappointed if this is the case. I would expect a standard random map to have an even-ish distribution of factory's/generators. There is now a customisable option for people to create lopsided maps with more factories, or more generators or no mines.
    timsinsal

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:24 am

• You can check how the map is generated here:

http://subterfuge.wikia.com/wiki/Map_an ... Generation

The relevant section:

We then randomly choose what percentage of outposts are generators. the range is 30%-60%

We build a "deck" of outpost types with the correct ratio of factories to generators

Starting from each of the N points, we take the closest outpost and give it the first type on the deck, the second closest outpost gets the second card from the deck, etc. This ensures that players have similar resources available to them (don't want one player having all generators and another all factories).
    stefan

Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:47 am

• stefan wrote:You can check how the map is generated here:

http://subterfuge.wikia.com/wiki/Map_an ... Generation

The relevant section:

We then randomly choose what percentage of outposts are generators. the range is 30%-60%

We build a "deck" of outpost types with the correct ratio of factories to generators

Starting from each of the N points, we take the closest outpost and give it the first type on the deck, the second closest outpost gets the second card from the deck, etc. This ensures that players have similar resources available to them (don't want one player having all generators and another all factories).

Stefan, that's great. Thank you for posting the info.

So basically we got a map with 30% generators. It's fun in a way becuase the stratagy is very different to normal.

But I do think, now L2 players can customise maps, that 30% generators is a little extreme for a "normal" random map.
    timsinsal

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:20 pm

• Random is, well, random, hence the introduction of a balanced game map as an option.
    It only makes sure the minimums are available, and all else could be anything! IMO, having such maps is a cool deviant as strategies change.
    In a past game with the same setup (everyone starts with 5 generators and there are only dormant factories), Tinkerers/ MoE are very vital, and generators are the targets of martyrs!
    Reporting from the Bridge
    pandasecret

Return to Questions

Information