Can a sub get attacked from behind?

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.
Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:36 am

• Is it possible to destroy a sub from behind?

Here is a scenario to best explain it:

There are three outposts in a (relative line). In order they are Fate, Ahab, and Ruiz. Blue owns Fate and Ahab, and Ruiz is owned by Red.
    Now lets say Blue is attacking Ruiz from Ahab with 50 drillers, but Red attacks Fate with 100 drillers. Red also has an admiral and navigator on board. After Blue sends the 50 drillers from Ahab to Ruiz, Red reroutes to Ahab, and captures Ahab after the 50 drillers leave.
    By sending then a sub from Ahab to Ruiz, and because of his 2x speed, will Red's sub catch up and destroy Blue's 50 drillers from behind? Or will Red just pass Blue and arrive at Ruiz first?
    Reporting from the Bridge
    pandasecret

• Subs always engage in combat when they are travelling between the same two outposts, no matter if they are travelling in the opposite direction or the same. Only exception to this rule is if one of the subs has a navigator on board. Subs with navigators never get in sub-to-sub combat unless they are targeted by a pirate.
    kinc4id

• kinc4id wrote:Subs always engage in combat when they are travelling between the same two outposts, no matter if they are travelling in the opposite direction or the same. Only exception to this rule is if one of the subs has a navigator on board. Subs with navigators never get in sub-to-sub combat unless they are targeted by a pirate.

Well, that's mostly true. But only if the navigator has redirected after leaving the initial outpost.
    Maybe I'm wrong though?
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

• roadkiehl wrote:
    kinc4id wrote:Subs always engage in combat when they are travelling between the same two outposts, no matter if they are travelling in the opposite direction or the same. Only exception to this rule is if one of the subs has a navigator on board. Subs with navigators never get in sub-to-sub combat unless they are targeted by a pirate.

Well, that's mostly true. But only if the navigator has redirected after leaving the initial outpost.
    Maybe I'm wrong though?

I think a sub with a navigator is never considered travelling between two outposts even if you send it straight from one to another, I read this somewhere here in the forums. But I can't proof this. To be 100% sure you should send your navigator to a third outpost and then redirect it after 1 tick.
    kinc4id

• I assume this post is based on what happened to Pmoney in the super spicy Forums Game?
    The answer to the over all question is yes- You can do this 'juke and ram from behind' dealio. Of course there is all those variables of "did red fire his sub first" and the distance. The longer the distance the more likely the sub will catch up- generally.

The maneuver known as the Triple Agent, involves using a double agent (x1.0 speed factor) against an oncoming sub then catching it and ramming it from the back with a one man sub with a Admiral global buff (x1.5 speed factor).
    This ramming from the back activates the agent back on to your side, and he is primed for another enemy sub.

https://youtu.be/RBhLblc6Avk

This guy did it with a helmsman but you get the jist of it.
    "Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We're all going to die. Come watch TV."
    janitorialduties

• Panda,

The sub will catch up and attack the fleeing sub once it overtakes and then continue on.

The navigator does not matter in this case after he launches from Ahab, it's the same route.

And if the nav does pass through as someone suggested, it's a bug and shouldn't happen, but doesn't matter since red will have troops at the base first (Which actually does suck since now you have to wait for the enemy troops to arrive before using those troops elsewhere if the bug works that way)
    yottawatts

• something funny i did the other day , before realising a smuggler that will be headed to a friendly outpost in 3x speed, send a sub with 1 drillers to that nearest outpost and after, when you realesed the smuggler will o normal speed! cuz if he hits my sub i will captured again (if we r talking in theory) ... good trick!
    tapyon

Return to Questions

Information