"Start Now"... does what?

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.
Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:08 pm

• As host, if I use the "Start Now" option, what happens? Does it remake the server for the current number of people, or does it start the map like it is now, with empty ghost outposts where the empty player spaces were?

If it is remade, will people still have the chance to quit, or is it like resigning during a game?
    kevlargolem

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:48 pm

• If there are less players than expected (let's say you set the game for 10 players but only 8 people show up), the map will regenerate according to the new player amount, create a new map and start the 4 hour countdown.
    Players who resign after the map regeneration and countdown will have it counted as a resignation, I believe. This is to make it fair - if you had a bad starting map, and could quit anytime, why would anyone want to start out with a disadvantage?
    Reporting from the Bridge
    pandasecret

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:51 pm

• pandasecret wrote:the map will regenerate according to the new player amount, create a new map and start the 4 hour countdown.

It's 8 hours actually, instead of the normal 4 hours. The time is double to give everyone a chance to take a look at the new map, possibly chat a bit, and schedule the orders for the new map.
    stefan

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:01 pm

• Perfect. This sounds like a great way to ensure a fair start, random for all.

So I could intend an 8 player game, open the server as 10 max, wait for 8 to join, then tap "start now." The whole time having a public message stating this plan to discourage pregame quitters who see they have a bad starting config. Once "start now" has been pushed, no one can quit without penalty.

Should work, no?
    kevlargolem

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:54 pm

• Yes that would work.

I like using this format (especially in current tournament) because it means that the host hasn't generated multiple maps looking for their ideal start. Once you hit start everybody sees the map for the first time and it can't be changed.
    Champinoman

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:04 pm

• I feel like this would be a good way to do all games, tbh. I mentioned way back in the exhibition game that being the last person to join a game is a *huge* disadvantage. But, if they did away with the pre-game map entirely, that would diminish the problem.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Return to Questions

Information