The Apparatus

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.
Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:04 pm

• Hello! For all of you guys who know, one way of winning is mining 200 kilos of this element called Neptunium. I've done some simple research over this radioactive element, and have wondered why we are mining this stuff. If you dig deeper (by deeper I mean the Subterfuge guide and forums :P) you'll find that this material is used in the construction of the "Apparatus". Any thoughts on what this could be?
    taksang

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:31 pm

• I don't have an answer for you, but I do have this. It's a 3 page long thread about the world of Subterfuge, and I believe an answer to your question may have been mentioned in it.
    "You want to believe that there’s one relationship in life that’s beyond betrayal. A relationship that’s beyond that kind of hurt. And there isn’t."
    -Caleb Carr
    v3xt

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:30 pm

• taksang wrote:you'll find that this material is used in the construction of the "Apparatus". Any thoughts on what this could be?

Ron talked about this in the Subterfuge AMA on Reddit. Source

It's a world trapped in an endless cycle of destruction that goes something like this:
    1. plans for an ancient technological device are discovered
    2. nations race to be the first to build this device (the apparatus, which requires 200 neptunium)
    3. when a player "wins" a game, the apparatus destroys nearly all life on the planet, leaving the outposts intact.
    4. societies rebuild themselves from near annihilation over many generations.
    5. go back to 1.

It never was high enough on their priority list to write a backstory or have it written, but this reddit post did inspire some writing by forum members. You can check those topics here.
    stefan

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:18 pm

• So.... It causes the Calamity from the game BASTION?
    Sick.
    Diplomacy, is the art of letting somebody else have your way.

-David Frost
    azrael_254

Return to Questions

Information