Allience

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.
Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:44 am

• Hello,

Not sure if this is not a new question about alliance and hot it works. Lets take an example Neptunium mode.

What is the purpose of alliance in this mode? should one honor territorial boundaries?
    Can you be sure that other alliance members will honor it? (Since the winner can be one in this mode, second and third place is for looser's who did not make it)
    During my experience of game, i have been betrayed many times and eaten alive by my allies. I was deceived. Well i was angry at first, but realized that this does not violate rules of a game.

Well i don't think there is real alliance here, more like temporary agreements with no guarantees.
    nooneishere

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:49 am

• One can never be sure that the alliances will last till the end of the game. However, making a good alliance is mostly what brings you the medals. You said that second and third place are for losers who couldn't make it, but that is not true in subterfuge: One must have at least one or a few good alliences in order to succeed, and it is mostly a win in my eyes if you are second/third when your ally grabs the gold.
    Imagine how stupid the average person is. Then realize that half of the people are even stupider than that.
    -George Carlin
    niverio

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:39 am

• I agree with Niverio.

There are many ways to look at this game. Sometimes if you make a 3-way alliance, you and your allies will come in first, second, and third! Other times, however, your ally may get first while you place lower; this can happen because you are deceived by your ally, but it also might happen because you decide to help that ally move up.

Everyone has different goals in this game. One of the most fun parts, and the trickiest, in my opinion, is figuring out those goals and then trying to use them to your advantage. What better subterfuge-type diplomacy is there than when you can convince someone that doing something helps them, when in fact it also (or even perhaps instead) helps you?

But, question by question:

nooneishere wrote:What is the purpose of alliance in this mode?

There are a few main reasons for alliances:
    1. To protect yourself.
    2. To fight against others.
    3. To change the course of the game.

It is important to remember that sometimes alliances can shift, change, or end altogether. Removing or adding people happens - both for you, and against you.

nooneishere wrote:should one honor territorial boundaries?

Sometimes - it is not always and it is definitely not never. The best answer for this is sometimes. Often, it will be in your best interests to honor boundary agreements at the beginning, until you get a better sense of who is who and what you want to do.

nooneishere wrote:Can you be sure that other alliance members will honor it?

Nope, you can't.

Hope this helps. :D
    "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."

-- Mary Wollstonecraft
    mm1menace

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:30 am

• I myself am very trusting with my alliances. But that might be because I carefully pick who I make them with. Like Niverio said, when I get third or second, and my ally gets first, that is a win in my book. If you want to play a game with backstabbing being less common, play with anyone on the forums here.

Godspeed in your future travels.
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:41 am

• nojo34 wrote:If you want to play a game with backstabbing being less common, play with anyone on the forums here.

*cough *cough Menace *cough* *cough* learn from Nojo *cough *cough*
    Don't be Haitian - R10t--

Lolololololol Juan. Always wrecking shit. - Radioactivity

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:45 am

• juanma206 wrote:
    nojo34 wrote:If you want to play a game with backstabbing being less common, play with anyone on the forums here.

Hey. I said LESS common, not completely eradicated.
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:45 am

• nojo34 wrote:
    juanma206 wrote:
    nojo34 wrote:If you want to play a game with backstabbing being less common, play with anyone on the forums here.

Hey. I said LESS common, not completely eradicated.

I am aware of that.
    Don't be Haitian - R10t--

Lolololololol Juan. Always wrecking shit. - Radioactivity

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:01 am

• juanma206 wrote:*cough *cough Menace *cough* *cough* learn from Nojo *cough *cough*

I've never backstabbed you, not once. Eliminating you, or attacking you, does not equal backstabbing you.

But as usual, here you are trying to stir up nonsense.
    "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."

-- Mary Wollstonecraft
    mm1menace

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:44 pm

• mm1menace wrote:
    juanma206 wrote:*cough *cough Menace *cough* *cough* learn from Nojo *cough *cough*

I've never backstabbed you, not once. Eliminating you, or attacking you, does not equal backstabbing you.

But as usual, here you are trying to stir up nonsense.

well we get it.....but, I think what we are referring to here when we say 'backstabbed' is to decieve or to use Subterfuge. It sure does feel like being backstabbed.
    Kings aren't OP

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    ----Albert Einstein
    tw2000

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:16 pm

• Oh and answering the question:
    Alliances are a funny thing really. People are better off with an alliance than without one, but people gain the most by lying to others about their stance. The people who usually win are either allies who trust each other, or a person who has backstabbed someone else. However, if you don't backstab your opponent, there's a risk of your ally backstabbing you, which is why some people backstab each other. Other will backstab simply because they will win.

If you work with great and trustworthy allies, and you don't backstab them, you will probably come get a medal (but maybe not gold). You will also be trusted by them the next time you play with them.

If you work with great and trustworthy allies and you backstab them, you will probably get a gold medal. However, you will be seen as an untrustworthy player, and your future games may be difficult.

If you work with allies who backstab you, you will probably not get any medals.

Of course, it is better to win and retain your trustworthiness than to win and lose your trustworthiness, and so winning in an alliance seems like the best way to go.

But here's a good example to illustrate why people don't do this:
    Suppose you are in a game show, faced with another person. The rules of the game are as follows: two players both make a choice at the same time: weather to 'split' or to 'steal'. If both players split, each will have $500,000. But if one splits and the other steals, the player who steals will take the million dollars. Here's the catch: If both players steal, then neither gets any money at all. So we can see the following:

...............Split...................Steal

Split.....500,000 each.......a million dollars

Steal...a million dollars........nothing

Replace some words to get:

.....................Ally...................Backstab

Ally...........500,000 each........a million dollars

Backstab...a million dollars............nothing

(Although this is much too simple, it represents so basic ideas)
    Kings aren't OP

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    ----Albert Einstein
    tw2000

Next

Return to Questions

Information