Just found this game. Does anyone have any tips?

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.

• At the beginning, look and see what outposts you can get. You should be able to secure 4-6 outposts. You'll know they're yours cause they're closest to your outposts. After that, I normally start by talking to people around me. Sometimes, you'll find people you like, people you don't like. I have even found people not near me talking to me, asking if I want to attack someone. Like Nojo said, always go for the unfair upper hand. Just keep your options open, try to form a few solid allies. You don't need to attack right out the gates (you can sometimes) but sometimes it's best to sit back and watch how the drillers settle, see where you think you can win.
    Loki: I have an army!
    Tony Stark: We have a Discord.

Earth's Mightiest Discord Server!

A new challenger appears! Come join the revolution!

P.S. Those are actually 3 different links!
    mathwhiz9

• Beginning of a game eh? Why don't you (Or I, might get more players that way.) create a game, say the title here, and I can help you in the game itself. Anyone else is welcome to join. We could bring back Kinghts and Squires? Idk
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

• Im going to be pretty busy these next couple of days so I'm not really going to be able to fully commit to a game. I did tell my friend about this game earlier and he ended up downloading it. We were thinking about starting a public game sometime when we aren't busy so I'll let you know the name when we set up a match.

Btw, what's Knights and Squires?
    If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade . . . And try to find someone whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    darkwizard

• Those are great tips by Aclonicy.

Here's a pretty good video by Kevlar Golem about how to start a game: Subterfuge Guide - Starting a Game.
    Last edited by mm1menace on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."

-- Mary Wollstonecraft
    mm1menace

• Bringing back Knights and Squires is a really good idea.

As a general rule, you want to avoid fighting multiple people at once. At the beginning, it is typically a good idea to figure out which way you want to expand, then make some sort of peace deal with your other neighbors. One of the most common deals in Subterfuge is the NAP (non-agressive pact - this usually includes not attacking each other, not helping their enemies, keeping driller counts low on the border, etc.) with a warning notice if the pact is to be broken, often 24 hours.

It is important to remember that while most players follow this agreement, some players will accept it but then ignore the notice when they want to attack; even with a deal in place, try to keep yourself protected in some way.
    "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."

-- Mary Wollstonecraft
    mm1menace

• What Menace says is generally a good idea.

Although i did not participate in the first Knights and Squires due to the fact that I was in between the two when the game was being played, it is a good concept. KevlarGolem, game up with the idea and im just going to quoute him here.

kevlarGolem wrote:The basic idea is a 2v2v2v2(v2), where each team of 2 is a skilled player(knight) and a newish L1(squire). The knight works with the squire and is compelled to help them be a better player, because their own success depends on it. While the knight and squire are required to work together, they may make diplomacy or attack other teams just like in any other game of subterfuge.

And here is the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1741
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

• Bringing that back does seem like a good idea. You guys have all given very good advice so far and I really appreciate it. I feel like the community around this game is a very accepting and nice one compared to some other ones. Thank you all for your input up to this point!
    If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade . . . And try to find someone whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    darkwizard

• darkwizard wrote: I feel like the community around this game is a very accepting and nice one compared to some other ones. Thank you all for your input up to this point!

I mean, its kinda hard to have douchebags here when the game actually requires a mind to play. There are two people i can think of who we dont like.... All the regulars should know who im talking about
    nojo34

• nojo34 wrote:
    darkwizard wrote: I feel like the community around this game is a very accepting and nice one compared to some other ones. Thank you all for your input up to this point!

I mean, its kinda hard to have douchebags here when the game actually requires a mind to play. There are two people i can think of who we dont like.... All the regulars should know who im talking about

And even they aren't that bad. In all my (185) games I've played, I've only run into one person I truly didn't like. I ended up playing him 4 times in total, and attacked him relentlessly each time. I know he felt the same way about me.

But yes. The forum community is awesome. We've got a little family, for lack of better way to explain it. Everyone here is great, and willing to help. And like Nojo said, we'd love to play a game with you, help you get into the game.

PS; about playing games - me and Nojo did one recently with aspidochelone. And both of us lost/are gonna lose rank because of it. So, just because we play with you doesn't mean you're gonna win ;) :D :lol:
    Loki: I have an army!
    Tony Stark: We have a Discord.

Earth's Mightiest Discord Server!

A new challenger appears! Come join the revolution!

P.S. Those are actually 3 different links!
    mathwhiz9

• mathwhiz9 wrote:PS; about playing games - me and Nojo did one recently with aspidochelone. And both of us lost/are gonna lose rank because of it. So, just because we play with you doesn't mean you're gonna win ;) :D :lol:

yeah.. 94 points down the drain to a marytr helsman attack in my sleep. How did you die math?
    nojo34

PreviousNext

Return to Questions

Information