How much data does Subterfuge use?

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.
Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:09 am

• So, here is the deal - I really like Subterfuge it's a great game, I want to buy level 2 and all that jazz. But I am wondering: How much mobile data does Subterfuge use, because due to my mobile plan and not having wifi, it just may not be a viable option. So how much data does subterfuge use on your devices. Like data (mb)/h, or something like that. Thanks to anyone who answers. Thankyou.
    r3v3rs3_z00m

• I have used 1.5 gigs... since last April!
    I play this game a lot. 3/4 games at a time. So it doesn't use much I'd say.
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

• the most i've seen out of this was 20mb in a month, and that was with me checking incessantly every 1.5 hours throughout the day. I was in a special program in Connecticut, where I couldn't reach house wifi or any public wifi, so that's all the data this app expends, total

t. Android player
    There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    silverberg

• To provide a counter-example, I burned through 2.5 gbs of data in a month and was charged for overages :( playing 4 games in a month one after the other. I'm L1 though so some of that is probably all the ad-watching to get more planned orders. It may not have been all Subterfuge (I didn't check at the time how much of the data used was that app specifically) but I was checking an awful lot and I don't have wifi during the day so it's all on 3g.

Battery on the other hand...this game absolutely burns through my phone battery.
    rracer2

• rracer2 wrote:some of that is probably all the ad-watching to get more planned orders.

The data consumption from ads is MASSIVE. Order of magnitude is ten times the data of the static webpage that the ad is hosted on, for websites. You've got your gigabytes right there, mate.

rracer2 wrote:Battery on the other hand...this game absolutely burns through my phone battery.

Have you tried the power-saving mode, in Subterfuge's options . I don't know how much it helps, but I certainly activated it right away.

TAKE.Benzedreene
    TAKE a deep breath and...
    benzedreene

• benzedreene wrote:
    rracer2 wrote:some of that is probably all the ad-watching to get more planned orders.

The data consumption from ads is MASSIVE. Order of magnitude is ten times the data of the static webpage that the ad is hosted on, for websites. You've got your gigabytes right there, mate.

Yeah that's what I assumed. If I was L2 and didn't have to watch ads that would probably help my data consumption a lot.

benzedreene wrote:
    rracer2 wrote:Battery on the other hand...this game absolutely burns through my phone battery.

Have you tried the power-saving mode, in Subterfuge's options . I don't know how much it helps, but I certainly activated it right away.

I activated it after my first couple of games when I found it - doesn't seem to have made that much of a difference. What would probably really help is if I could force myself to not check the game every ten seconds "just in case something changed since I last checked." :lol: :lol:
    rracer2

• Side note on battery saving mode: You may find this amusing and ironic, but the games runs natively on 60FPS when the game has 10 minute long ticks ;)
    Battery saving mode drops that down to 30.

I mainly play with people from North America, where the servers are hosted. If you off the continent, there may be more data use
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

• Can someone explain to me this ad watching thing? I know how it works but I never had an option to watch ads and I was L1 for over a year but never saw it
    My new party trick:
    I swallow 2 pieces of string and an hour later they come out of my ass tied together.
    I shit you knot.
    whos sayin

• Pretty much, as an L1, if you try to schedule a third order in the future, it won't let you, offering to sell you L2, or to watch an ad. If you watch the ad, you get unlimited future orders for the next two hours (as in you have 2 hours to actually set the orders in the future)
    Let's say it's 3pm and I want to schedule some orders. If I watch the ad, I will have until 5pm to schedule whatever I want, and it will happen regardless of how far in the future it is. Nothing overly complicated, and actually good value imo
    A wise guy's always right; even when he's wrong he's right
    -Lefty, Donnie Brasco
    400th Page TPBM
    coltspaesano

• coltspaesano wrote:Pretty much, as an L1, if you try to schedule a third order in the future, it won't let you, offering to sell you L2, or to watch an ad. If you watch the ad, you get unlimited future orders for the next two hours (as in you have 2 hours to actually set the orders in the future)
    Let's say it's 3pm and I want to schedule some orders. If I watch the ad, I will have until 5pm to schedule whatever I want, and it will happen regardless of how far in the future it is. Nothing overly complicated, and actually good value imo

And according to another thread I saw here, it's an iOS only feature. On Android you can just schedule up to 4 orders at a time, period. No options to do more besides buying L2.

I probably would have liked this game a lot less to start with if I'd been limited to 4 scheduled orders at a time unless I paid. I think watching ads is a great value and considering how many I've watched it could end up being worth more to the devs than buying L2. :)
    rracer2

Return to Questions

Information