Which of the following scenarios do you consider cheating?

Questions about rules, how things work, etc.

• This question is about what types of alliances count as cheating. I'd like to know people's thoughts.

In each example, players A and B are playing to win and will betray, lie, and backstab each other if it benefits them, so there is no "guaranteed" alliance.

Scenario 1a:
    A and B know each other in real life.
    A creates a game and invites B to join and ally.
    B joins the game. Before the game starts, A and B discuss their attack on another player.

Scenario 1b:
    A and B know each other in real life.
    B joins the game. After the game starts, A and B discuss their attack on another player.

Scenario 2a:
    A and B spoke to each other on the forums or played together before.
    B joins the game. Before the game starts, A and B discuss their attack on another player.

Scenario 2b:
    A and B spoke to each other on the forums or played together before.
    B joins the game. After the game starts, A and B discuss their attack on another player.

Scenario 3a:
    A and B join a public game.
    Before the game starts, A and B agree to ally and discuss their attack on another player.

Scenario 3b:
    A and B join a public game.
    After the game starts, A and B agree to ally and discuss their attack on another player.

Scenario 4:
    In any of the above, A and B describe to each other what they see.

Scenario 5a:
    In any of the above, A and B exchange screenshots by email.

Scenario 5b:
    In any of the above, A and B exchange screenshots by email, but A is sneaky and photoshopped his.

Scenario 6a:
    In any of the above, A and B meet in person and look at each other's phones.

Scenario 6b:
    In any of the above, A and B meet in person and look at each other's phones, but A is sneaky and installed a program on his phone to trick B into thinking the map is different.
    zedmango

• This is a very very difficult issue. Obviously people want to play with their friends, but how can you make a game with your friends and make it not multiboxing?

1. For both iterations, it is alright, so long as it does not happen consistently between these two players. Two irl friends do not need to play every game together
    2. Same as scenario 1 for both iterations
    3. Both iterations are ok all of the time
    4. Ok
    5. Cheating in either iteration
    6. Cheating in either iteration.

3-6 are generally agreed upon with 3-4 being ok and 5-6 being bad. 1-2 are more of a gray area, so that's just my opinion for those 2.
    My faith has found a resting place,
    Not in device or creed;
    I trust the ever-living One,
    His wounds for me shall plead.
    I need no other argument,
    I need no other plea,
    It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.
    aclonicy

• Based off of what Ron updated all the above except some games people are together in one then against each other in another but if they always ally with each other which some forum players may do as well as some higher ranked sr players its is unfortunate.

Using derogatory language in chat. Particularly language aimed at race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and nationality.
    Making real life threats, even if it's supposedly done as a joke.
    Playing with more than one account in the same game (aka multiboxing). This includes directly or indirectly controlling another player.
    Gifting too much of your stuff to another player, especially early on. We expect everyone to play the game to the end. It's fine to help your allies, not fine to gift them all your stuff.
    Going into a game with a pre-made alliance, even if it's just an implicit one. This usually occurs when players join a public game with their real life friends.
    rlin81

• rlin81 wrote:Based off of what Ron updated all the above except some games people are together in one then against each other in another

Going into a game with a pre-made alliance, even if it's just an implicit one. This usually occurs when players join a public game with their real life friends.

Well, no - based off of what Ron updated, taking it literally, scenarios 1, 2, and 3a are all cheating, and 3b, 4, 5, and 6 are all allowed. Ron didn't say anything against sharing screenshots or phones.

Also, based off of what Ron updated, it doesn't matter whether you're together in one and against each other in another, it's still not allowed.

Of course, what Ron said is ridiculous. What is an "implicit" pre-made alliance, and how do you know if you're in one? How do you prevent one if it's implicit?

I'll tell you my point of view - the problem is out-of-game loyalty. In other words, it's fine to go into every game with a pre-planned alliance of friends, real life or not, as long as you're no less likely to backstab them than you would if the alliance was made right at the start of the game. The whole point of the game is to backstab people when it's to your advantage, and out-of-game loyalty interferes with that. Pre-planned alliances don't.

There's no real difference between starting your alliance on the forum 1 hour before a game starts vs. starting your alliance right after the game starts.
    zedmango

• Pre planned alliance is an unfair advantage not that I care much. Imagine going to your friends house playing monopoly or risk and the your friend and his significant other always has a prearranged alliance starting out but will back stab each other later on. Pretty soon you will stop playing with them unless they are just terrible at monopoly or risk or you are just that good. Alliances are made in game either from in game information or past game information are okay. You know X player is trustworthy so you favor him but you don't out right start before you even know who is in the game to say okay bob me and you will ally and kill everyone. So there are players A & B who ally with each other often but do so because of familiarity, then there are players C & D who only play with each other and always ally with each other and then there are players E & F who are we keep a list of people who we ally with and if you piss us off you will be on our shit list. I don't really know E & F, it was just what people told me when I have pissed them off. These are just comments about starting a game and playing as if everyone was your friend with no apparent favoritism. Not really about enforcement.
    rlin81

• All this makes the assumption that playing with an IRL friend equals an unbreakable alliance. In the game I've played with an IRL I was more nervous about my friend attacking me because he knew me. He piled up drills on my border and didn't reply to messages.

You can't trust anyone in this game. :)
    "I work for the company. But don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy."
    carter j burke

• Sounds like something I would do. :P
    rlin81

• Scenario A1 : You sign NAP u multiboxing. BAN :)

Scenario A2: You won the match by anyone other help? Ban! Multiboxing :)

Scenario A3: U accepted funding? Strict ban heavy hard-core multiboxing! Unfair advantage :)

Scenario B1: :) U gifted specs or drilers? Ban! :)

Scenario B2: u received gift? Ban hard multiboxing :)

Scenario B3: You over 1500 pts on leader board? Immediate ban that's a direct proof of multiboxing :)

Scenario C1: You opened diplomatic dialog with anyone in match you joined? Extreme heavy multiboxing! You trying to control other account in your advantage :)

OK bye
    fox-alpha-one

• I think 4, 5a, 5b, 6a and 6b are cheating.
    Baa.
    bleatingsheep39

• In this game of tactics, strategy, and diplomacy; alliances will be formed and dissolve for many reasons. Everyone should expect backstabbing and decption as well as cooperation and intel sharing. Cheating is using something outside of the rules to win. So if all of these things are a part of this game, digital or IRL, it shouldn't be considered cheating at all. You may feel raw about losing to any one of these situations but its not cheating its all a part of the game, it doesn't mean your a bad player. Anyone resorting to these ways to victory is scum, in my opinion, but that's their choice. You can either cry about the choices of others or take pride in your own.
    retrac81

Next

Return to Questions

Information