Kobayashi Maru - A Test Of Character

Any questions, tips, or cool solutions to the tactical puzzels

• this puzzle can be finished without sacrificing the Queen. just transport her back together with the Helmsman for double-speed. This way, both of them won't get caught in the explosion at Donatu (:
    juichi

• Interestingly, on the topic of 'Kobayashi Maru':

Wikipedia wrote:The Kobayashi Maru is a test in the fictional Star Trek universe.

It is a Starfleet training exercise designed to test the character of cadets in the command track at Starfleet Academy.

In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, the simulation takes place on a replica of a starship bridge, with the test-taker as captain and other Starfleet members, officers or other cadets, in other key positions. In the scenario of the 2280s, the cadet receives a distress signal stating that the Kobayashi Maru has struck a gravitic mine in the Klingon Neutral Zone and is rapidly losing power, hull integrity and life support. There are no other vessels nearby. The cadet is faced with a decision:

1. Attempt to rescue the Kobayashi Maru '​s crew and passengers, which involves violating the Neutral Zone and potentially provoking the Klingons into hostile action or an all-out war; or
    2. Abandon the Kobayashi Maru, potentially preventing war but leaving the crew and passengers to die.

If the cadet chooses to save the Kobayashi Maru the scenario progresses quickly. The bridge officers notify the cadet that they are in violation of the treaty. As the starship enters the Neutral Zone, the communications officer loses contact with the crippled vessel. Klingon starships then appear on an intercept course. Attempts to contact them are met with radio silence; indeed, their only response is to open fire with devastating results. The objective of the test is not for the cadet to outfight the opponent but rather to test the cadet's reaction to a no-win situation.

TL;DR
    The Kobayashi Maru is a test in the fictional Star Trek universe.
    It is a Starfleet training exercise designed to test the character of cadets in the command track at Starfleet Academy.
    The objective of the test is not for the cadet to outfight the opponent but rather to test the cadet's reaction to a no-win situation.

I don't know (because I haven't watched star trek), but does this tactic involve a no-win situation similar to the one described in the simulation at star trek?
    Kings aren't OP

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    ----Albert Einstein
    tw2000

• I would like a medal. However, I'd like more puzzles. Depending on difficulty to make them, they can sell expansion packs
    "Look in the mirror... That's your competition"
    square

• Thanks! I finally solved it thanks to the clues! I was gonna look at the wiki but then I saw someone's comment about a martyr and I tried it. Voila! A destroyed generator! Haha! Couldn't have done it without the clue
    Before Me there were many, after Me there will be none.To acquire knowledge is good, knowing how to use it is better.
    protege

• Just... think laterally. It's easy once you work it out.
    Baa.
    bleatingsheep39

• bleatingsheep39 wrote:Just... think laterally. It's easy once you work it out.

Yes, it is
    fatpig10

• stefan wrote:Congrats! You deserver a medal!
    (This might actually be worth an automatically assigned medal, completing all tactical puzzels)

The issue with giving medals to tactical puzzle completions is people can use the wiki.
    Baa.
    bleatingsheep39

• fatpig10 wrote:
    bleatingsheep39 wrote:Just... think laterally. It's easy once you work it out.

Yes, it is

Right, thanks ya'll for being smart enough to figure it out.
    Baaaa. I'm a tall goat.
    tallgoat11

• It took me 2 days to come up with a solution but remember: ORDER MATTERS.
    P.S. My only problem since the beginning was the order. ;D
    v2002g

• I sat down and got it in 10 min. just relax and don't think to complicated!
    naso

PreviousNext

Return to Tactical puzzles

Information