The Art of War by Sun Tzu - He Play Subterfuge?

Just shooting the breeze

• I can't help but feel the Art of War by Sun Tzu takes a whole new light after playing Subterfuge. :P
    While the sections about practical cares of men is obviously redundant (Drills tend not to tire or rebel ;-), some of the basic wisdom is VERY applicable!

I have copied some sections which could be helpful to newbies and those unfamiliar with the book. :)

LAYING PLANS
    • All warfare is based on deception.
    • Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
    • Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    • If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him.
    • If he is taking his ease, give him no rest.
    • If his forces are united, separate them.
    • Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    • The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand. Thus do many calculations lead to victory, and few calculations to defeat: how much more no calculation at all! It is by attention to this point that I can foresee who is likely to win or lose.

Art of War in full: http://suntzusaid.com/
    "I work for the company. But don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy."
    carter j burke

• Definitely, it's what the original was written for.

I have read a few different versions of the Art of War and find that it is useful in nearly all aspects of life.
    stitch29

• I changed my forum signature to some of those quotes, they are some really good lines to play Subterfuge to!
    Reporting from the Bridge
    pandasecret

Return to Off topic and social

Information