Favorite games?

Just shooting the breeze
Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:07 pm

• And there are two honourable mentions I would like to add: Bridge as a card game is the ultimate strategy game which can be kept in a small pocket. And the ancient Go, the ultimate strategy game ever, even far beyond Chess, and even though I can not play it myself because no one near me knows it, only the concept and depth of it leaves me in awe.
    Imagine how stupid the average person is. Then realize that half of the people are even stupider than that.
    -George Carlin
    niverio

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:23 pm

• I'm surprised people are still playing TF2! Loved that game; sadly, I stopped playing PC games when my gaming machine died, or I'd probably still be playing it. Medic all the way.

For me, my favourite all-time games would be:
    #1: Hostile Intent. It's an indie mod for the original Half-Life engine. Basically, CoD's Hardcore Search & Destroy. FPS PvP, very little health, one life per round. Long before CoD even existed.
    #2: Counterstrike--Surfing. Forget shooting stuff. That got old. But surfing? You can surf? Sweet! Too much fun.
    #3: Final Fantasy. Any of them.
    #4: Black & White. You are God. Literally. One of the first games where you could play as good, or evil, and the world re-acted to it. Will your people pray to you out of thanks for the crops you blessed, or out of fear that you'll pick them up and throw them off a cliff? Molyneaux game, not surprisingly.
    #5: Civilization. Any of them. The Xbox version was surprisingly good. Not as good as PC, but still, well worth it.
    #6: Railroad Tycoon 1 and 2. 3 was OK. 'Railroads!' Was terrible.
    jaykay077

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:19 am

• aclonicy wrote:#1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Favorite game of all time, I'm sure I've put near 1,000 hours into the game.

Duuuuude wildly underrated game—I feel ya. I thought I was the only one :p

1. Wild Arms (PS1) easily the best RPG I have ever come across. I'm not even a Playstation guy and this shit is nuts. Crazy difficult with a seemingly endless story, I don't know how it's not split into two discs.

2. Super Smash Bros. I play a lot of OG, but I adore melee and brawl too, I can't pick. Haven't touched the Wii U, I know I need to.

3. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. This was the only non PC version (I had it for gamecube) of this series. Another brilliantly under-appreciated RPG. Surely one of y'all can bond with me over this one...?

4. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: There is so much to do in this game and so many different ways to go about beating it. Definitely logged a ridiculous amount of hours just trekking about pounding the ground for star pieces.

5. Animal Crossing: Wild World. Too many hours logged—it has to make my list. I am super competitive (obviously. Every one of us in this community is) but this game was a nice change of pace. Really enjoyed catching fish and watering my flowers every day :mrgreen:
    dane69

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:27 pm

• dane69 wrote:
    Duuuuude wildly underrated game—I feel ya. I thought I was the only one :p

1. Wild Arms (PS1) easily the best RPG I have ever come across. I'm not even a Playstation guy and this shit is nuts. Crazy difficult with a seemingly endless story, I don't know how it's not split into two discs.

2. Super Smash Bros. I play a lot of OG, but I adore melee and brawl too, I can't pick. Haven't touched the Wii U, I know I need to.

3. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. This was the only non PC version (I had it for gamecube) of this series. Another brilliantly under-appreciated RPG. Surely one of y'all can bond with me over this one...?

4. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: There is so much to do in this game and so many different ways to go about beating it. Definitely logged a ridiculous amount of hours just trekking about pounding the ground for star pieces.

5. Animal Crossing: Wild World. Too many hours logged—it has to make my list. I am super competitive (obviously. Every one of us in this community is) but this game was a nice change of pace. Really enjoyed catching fish and watering my flowers every day :mrgreen:

Baldur's Gate, sure; amazing RPG. Never played the GameCube version though...
    jaykay077

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:23 am

• The PC versions were great, but the something about playing it with a real controller enhanced it for me. I waited for years for the rumored sequel but it never came :( I used to go into gamestop multiple times a month to inquire about it, but to no avail.
    dane69

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:41 pm

• 1. Nier- Gestalt. THE MOST GORGEOUS SOUND TRACK I have ever heard. Interesting characters, terribly sad FTW. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUn-kezLzeY&list=PL8DDD2D047A076DC8&index=12 Shit gets real in the second playthrough. It made me feel things.

2. Borderlands- Months where wasted on this series of games.

3. Metro 2033- Pretty gritty post apocalyptic game. Takes place in Russia after a nuclear event. The surface is toxic but they scrap a living in the Metro system. You play the game however you want- You don't know whats ahead or whether your own choices have made the game harder.

4. SQUEEG OF SQUEGENDS (LoL)- Pretty toxic community but gotta love it. No game is the same and each helps you learn a little more about the game. Main Support- Nami and Karma are my Bae's

5. Spore- You make a creature and follow the little guy from the aquatic goop it come from to a galactic empire, all the while you are in control of many of the way things look. Want it to have 50 eyes? bingo. Corgi Giraffe? He's gonna conquer the galaxy.
    "Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We're all going to die. Come watch TV."
    janitorialduties

Previous

Return to Off topic and social

Information