A rant about school? Wha?

Just shooting the breeze
Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:12 pm

• My reasons why the current school system is very bad:
    1. Classes are too damn long for learning, it might just be me, but I personally don’t need to write ten to sixteen notebooks in a school year to learn about, surprise surprise: adjectives.
    2. Teachers all around aren’t that great. I personally am in a position where I can afford a half-decent school, they don’t seem to really dominate the subject they work on, and that is absolutely destructive to…
    3. Learning. My point is, when you have anywhere from 15 to 25 students in a classroom YELLING wanting their questions answered, one would guess the possible amount of learning one can get is diminished the more yelling people in the classroom there are. Then again having one teacher for every student isn’t very practical so I personally don’t have an answer to this problem.
    So that was basically my rant for the day about useless crap, expect more of these to come, as I get angry at stuff I don’t agree on.

And next time’s topic is…

NOJO34(And the completely unrelated topic of backstabbing)

Ye baby I’m coming for ya. :D

By the way, make sure to tell me if you agree or disagree (and your reasoning, obviously)
    Last edited by juanma206 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Don't be Haitian - R10t--

Lolololololol Juan. Always wrecking shit. - Radioactivity

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:18 pm

• Can you hurry up with your rant on NOJO34? That's one topic I wanna hear more about :lol:
    But for the most part, I agree with your current rant
    Loki: I have an army!
    Tony Stark: We have a Discord.

Earth's Mightiest Discord Server!

A new challenger appears! Come join the revolution!

P.S. Those are actually 3 different links!
    mathwhiz9

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:25 pm

• I need to write my rants over and over to clarify my points and make people see what I see, but yeah, I reckon I can get it out by Sunday if not earlier.

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:28 pm

• juanma206 wrote:I need to write my rants over and over to clarify my points and make people see what I see, but yeah, I reckon I can get it out by Sunday if not earlier.

By the way, that means I'll be lazy and you will see it in a year and a half.

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:37 pm

• A big problem that I had with high school was the grading system and course requirements. It seemed to me that the only reason for learning was to get good grades, and the only reason for taking certain classes was to take certain classes. The school system has no intrinsic motivation to learning, which frustrated me.
    Standardized tests are terrible. Especially essays, which become more about listing facts than constructing a good argument. And that's the nature of standardization. A grader can't grade the persuasive aspect of a paper in a standard rubric.
    I went to a very good high school, so I haven't experienced a lot of the problems that are present in less funded schools, but the problems that were there drove me crazy.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:44 pm

• roadkiehl wrote:A big problem that I had with high school was the grading system and course requirements. It seemed to me that the only reason for learning was to get good grades, and the only reason for taking certain classes was to take certain classes. The school system has no intrinsic motivation to learning, which frustrated me.
    Standardized tests are terrible. Especially essays, which become more about listing facts than constructing a good argument. And that's the nature of standardization. A grader can't grade the persuasive aspect of a paper in a standard rubric.
    I went to a very good high school, so I haven't experienced a lot of the problems that are present in less funded schools, but the problems that were there drove me crazy.

Precisely my point, this is why school essays become monotonous for almost everyone. It feels like you are listing instead of making a good argument, even class debates aren't really about opinion more than just bombarding the other person with facts so much they don't know what to reply to.
    It really frustrates me how schools, and the school system in general could be so much more, but right now are far from optimized.

Also, how good is a really good high school? I don't want to get into figures, I just want to have an idea if you were studying in a (exaggeration) palace or just a decent school like me. I would assume you basically had the same quality of school I have right now, but I want to know.

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:49 pm

• roadkiehl wrote:A big problem that I had with high school was the grading system and course requirements. It seemed to me that the only reason for learning was to get good grades, and the only reason for taking certain classes was to take certain classes. The school system has no intrinsic motivation to learning, which frustrated me.

Definitely agree to all of this. And the most pointless thing that catches my eye is that you have to have very good biology and german literature grades to get into an... engineering technical university (I mean the good ones). Yeah, I am definitely going to analyze Goethe while I am constructing a car.
    Imagine how stupid the average person is. Then realize that half of the people are even stupider than that.
    -George Carlin
    niverio

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 pm

• niverio wrote:
    roadkiehl wrote:A big problem that I had with high school was the grading system and course requirements. It seemed to me that the only reason for learning was to get good grades, and the only reason for taking certain classes was to take certain classes. The school system has no intrinsic motivation to learning, which frustrated me.

Definitely agree to all of this. And the most pointless thing that catches my eye is that you have to have very good biology and german literature grades to get into an... engineering technical university (I mean the good ones). Yeah, I am definitely going to analyze Goethe while I am constructing a car.

And you also will measure the car's heartbeat and check its circulatory system while you're at it.
    Last edited by juanma206 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 pm

• juanma206 wrote:Also, how good is a really good high school? I don't want to get into figures, I just want to have an idea if you were studying in a (exaggeration) palace or just a decent school like me. I would assume you basically had the same quality of school I have right now, but I want to know.

I went to one of the 3 best schools in PA (the exact position changes everything year.) It was in a college town, so most of the kids were professor's kids, and it's the kind of school good teachers want to go to.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:57 pm

• roadkiehl wrote:
    juanma206 wrote:Also, how good is a really good high school? I don't want to get into figures, I just want to have an idea if you were studying in a (exaggeration) palace or just a decent school like me. I would assume you basically had the same quality of school I have right now, but I want to know.

I went to one of the 3 best schools in PA (the exact position changes everything year.) It was in a college town, so most of the kids were professor's kids, and it's the kind of school good teachers want to go to.

Yeah, I would assume mine is at the very least comparable to yours in quality.

PA being Pennsylvania?

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Next

Return to Off topic and social

Information