Favorite Book and Most Recent Book

Just shooting the breeze

• janitorialduties wrote:Lol, I recently read irobot- Wasn't the entire premise of the book on how the seemingly perfect three laws caused unexpected and unforseen problems that we couldn't predict?

Yes but also keep in mind that these problems were worked out in the end. Though Susan Calvin saw all of these problems she still believed that the three laws were necessary. In fact many of the problems arose from humans that changed the first law or were not problems at all.
    chariot rider

• True True-
    Though I think it speaks volumes on our lack of being able predict how another entity- AI in this case- would respond to a built in rule in several situations.

Currently reading a book- Super Intelligence by Nick Bostrom. He systematically argues that Artificial Intelligence can and will become smarter and a true threat by being unpredictable in the ways it interprets our demands. His analogy in the very beginning is of a group of small sparrows taking in and raising the egg of an Owl, claiming that it could protect them and make their lives easier.

Its very difficult to imagine us creating something smarter than ourselves. Its a very good read. He sounds a little crazy on how redundant (systematic) his logic is in trying to convince you that its at first possible.

While the Irobot stories where almost cute, I definitely read it with dark undertones.

So recently read book- Super Intelligence by Nick Bostrom
    Fave book? Thief of Always by Clive Barker
    "Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We're all going to die. Come watch TV."
    janitorialduties

• Japanese Woodblock Print Workshop
    Supreme Leader; TopKilla
    topkilla

Previous

Return to Off topic and social

Information