Favorite Book and Most Recent Book

Just shooting the breeze

• nojo34 wrote:I recently had the read that for school. I know people say "it's a classic" and "your need to read it, catcher in the rye is amazing"

I personally dislike the book.

I understand. I didn't like it when I read it the first time, either.

It is my dad's favorite book, though, and I decided to give it another try; it isn't much of an investment since it is less than 200 pages long. My experience reading it again, as an adult, was vastly different. I'm not saying that will be the case for everyone, but it certainly was for me.

And yes, Holden is kind of a whiny bitch. But that's the point! ;)
    "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."

-- Mary Wollstonecraft
    mm1menace

• Fav - The Grapes of Wrath. Incredible.

Latest - I read Dora and the Enchanted Forest last night. It was a nail biter. Swiper the Fox always provides dramatic tension.
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds...
    radioactivity

• Fav - Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
    Life in a society ruled by pleasure, with everything based around the ideal of instant gratification.

Recent - The Plague, Albert Camus
    A wonderful tale of how humans stuck in the industrial routine react to having the people they never stopped to care about taken from them.
    Last edited by silverberg on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    silverberg

• My favorite had got to be "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. It just sums up everything that is amazing and grand and awesome into one amazing timeline. Hence my logo.

The most recent book I read was "I, Robot". It certainly made me feel more comfortable that the robot uprising is far away thanks to the three laws.
    chariot rider

• chariot rider wrote:
    The most recent book I read was "I, Robot". It certainly made me feel more comfortable that the robot uprising is far away thanks to the three laws.

I, loved that book!! Here's a little comic about the three laws of robotics
    Attachments
    image.png
    image.png (155.46 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
    image.png
    image.png (192.96 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

• Lol, I recently read irobot- Wasn't the entire premise of the book on how the seemingly perfect three laws caused unexpected and unforseen problems that we couldn't predict?
    "Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We're all going to die. Come watch TV."
    janitorialduties

• silverberg wrote:Fav - Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

Yes! This book is tremendous. Did you know that Aldous Huxley was essentially blind?
    "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."

-- Mary Wollstonecraft
    mm1menace

• My heart is still a child's - I enjoyed the Magyk series by Angie Sage, the Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch, the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, and Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol; but also the (translated)Jules Verne books - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (basically where my liking to submarines started and may have subconsciously led me to Subterfuge) and 80 days Around the World.
    In terms of more mature books, I enjoyed A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley, it got me pretty hooked wanting to see how things played out.
    Reporting from the Bridge
    pandasecret

• pandasecret wrote:Magyk by Annie Sage

The first one was really good, but when I tried to read the second and third they just got really draggy and I could get into them.
    pandasecret wrote:Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch

I read The Name of This Book is Secret (which led me to some of my crypts in the cryptography thread)
    pandasecret wrote:Around the World in 80 Days

I wanted to read this one, and then in French we started reading it. Note: if you are going to read this book. Read it in your native language. Cause you will be so freaking lost and have no clue what's going on.
    pandasecret wrote:...subconsciously...

Don't you mean. Sub-consciously ;) ;) (sorry. That was terrible)
    Loki: I have an army!
    Tony Stark: We have a Discord.

Earth's Mightiest Discord Server!

A new challenger appears! Come join the revolution!

P.S. Those are actually 3 different links!
    mathwhiz9

• mm1menace wrote:
    silverberg wrote:Fav - Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

Yes! This book is tremendous. Did you know that Aldous Huxley was essentially blind?

Did not know about that eye infection until I read about it just now!
    Interesting that a man with no sight could see the future :D
    There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    silverberg

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic and social

Information