Teaching with Subterfuge

Just shooting the breeze
Mon May 09, 2016 1:48 pm

• nojo34 wrote:I am in high school, so I guess that counts as some form of validation for my opinion. Here are my 2 cents on your idea.
    - Does everyone have a phone? If not, you can't do this.
    - Every class has those 5-10 people who misbehave, no matter what. They will see this as a chance to goof off and not learn. But this also may trick them into learning English....
    - Make them 10 player games, with 9 students and one "admin" from the forums. The admin can help everyone out with the game and English. (I'd be willing to host the private game if there are too many for you to host)

I would participate in a teaching session as well if necessary!
    Imagine how stupid the average person is. Then realize that half of the people are even stupider than that.
    -George Carlin
    niverio

Mon May 09, 2016 2:02 pm

• No, no, no!
    You're missing the point.

The point is meeting cultures and practicing English, not having a fun little game with the class!

While I do agree that one forumer or more should be in each game, I think they shouldn't be 9 students and a moderator.
    Don't be Haitian - R10t--

Lolololololol Juan. Always wrecking shit. - Radioactivity

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm

• Don't do it.

• Subterfuge is to complex to learn quickly. They are going to suck, therefore, dislike the experience.
    • You only get as much interacting as you put in.
    • You can't control how the other people in the game will act. If they get in a game with someone inappropriate, and they don't like you, you will be held accountable.

Nice idea. But I recommend you cease and desist
    Supreme Leader; TopKilla
    topkilla

Mon May 09, 2016 2:48 pm

• While I think teaching language through a game that requires diplomacy is an excellent idea, I'm not sure subterfuge is the right game to do it with. I've had games with plenty of conversation, but I've also had games where I exchanged less than 10 messages a day. I would suggest you try to find a game that can be finished within a single class and requires a lot of communication in a short amount of time, without needing an in-depth understanding of the game itself.
    "You want to believe that there’s one relationship in life that’s beyond betrayal. A relationship that’s beyond that kind of hurt. And there isn’t."
    -Caleb Carr
    v3xt

Mon May 09, 2016 3:05 pm

• topkilla wrote:Don't do it.

• Subterfuge is to complex to learn quickly. They are going to suck, therefore, dislike the experience.
    • You can't control how the other people in the game will act. If they get in a game with someone inappropriate, and they don't like you, you will be held accountable.

All of this problems are solvable.

1) They will be playing in a private game vs each other so everyone will be bad. The game would be noob vs noob so nobody will feel bad. I found that the best way to learn this game, is to learn with somebody else.

2) You only get as much interacting as you put in? I assume that a couple students will get really into this and want to play, therefor they will play and talk more.

3) They would be in a private game. If there are inappropriate people in the class (I assume there are) then inside subterfuge wouldn't be the first time people would deal with the person. Subterfuge chats stay forever, so if anyone says something inappropriate, somebody can show it to korf.
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

Mon May 09, 2016 3:06 pm

• topkilla wrote:Don't do it.

I beg to differ. It took me 35 games to even earn a medal and I'm still here. While I do agree, I'm a minority in this case, and most people will stop after 30 games or fewer. Still. Not everyone is like this. Plus, 30 games is ~270 days. So even if they can't last 35 games, it's not like they need to be hooked for the entire school year.
    Don't be Haitian - R10t--

Lolololololol Juan. Always wrecking shit. - Radioactivity

That should sum it up.
    juanma206

Mon May 09, 2016 5:25 pm

• In my experience with younger kids an an unfiltered online world - they do NOT mix.
    By just having them all together in a game however, will not improve their English, as they can also cheat and speak Dutch to each other.

If you want to go ahead with this project, I recommend you hand-picking private servers with trusted people - ones which will play civil, and encourage the kids to speak to them.
    For example, if you're making 10 player games, three of them should be trusted English speakers and seven can be your pupils. Each native English speaker would then ally with two or three pupils and through their communication, fight each other. The pupils should never be on a team on their own, as that does NOT encourage English speaking.
    Furthermore, the hand-picked English speakers must also speak in coherent full sentences and avoid slang, contractions, etc.
    I for one would volunteer to be one such English speaker.
    Reporting from the Bridge
    pandasecret

Mon May 09, 2016 5:27 pm

• pandasecret wrote:If you want to go ahead with this project, I recommend you hand-picking private servers with trusted people - ones which will play civil, and encourage the kids to speak to them.
    Furthermore, the hand-picked English speakers must also speak in coherent full sentences and avoid slang, contractions, etc.

I volunteer as tribute.
    Also, i agree with everything elder panda said
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

Mon May 09, 2016 5:59 pm

• nojo34 wrote:
    pandasecret wrote:If you want to go ahead with this project, I recommend you hand-picking private servers with trusted people - ones which will play civil, and encourage the kids to speak to them.

I volunteer as tribute.
    Also, i agree with everything elder panda said

o7 I'm in!
    Loki: I have an army!
    Tony Stark: We have a Discord.

Earth's Mightiest Discord Server!

A new challenger appears! Come join the revolution!

P.S. Those are actually 3 different links!
    mathwhiz9

Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 pm

• pandasecret wrote:In my experience with younger kids an an unfiltered online world - they do NOT mix.
    By just having them all together in a game however, will not improve their English, as they can also cheat and speak Dutch to each other.

If you want to go ahead with this project, I recommend you hand-picking private servers with trusted people - ones which will play civil, and encourage the kids to speak to them.
    For example, if you're making 10 player games, three of them should be trusted English speakers and seven can be your pupils. Each native English speaker would then ally with two or three pupils and through their communication, fight each other. The pupils should never be on a team on their own, as that does NOT encourage English speaking.

This is a perfect compromise in my opinion, and I'd have no objection to leading a team of ESL students.
    There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    silverberg

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic and social

Information