Designing a Card Game

Just shooting the breeze
Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:41 am

• That looks really cool. The cards are nicely organized, game looks really fun. It's a bit comfusing to just try to read it and understand it, but any game is. It'll probably be really easy to play once you get going. Nice job!
    Loki: I have an army!
    Tony Stark: We have a Discord.

Earth's Mightiest Discord Server!

A new challenger appears! Come join the revolution!

P.S. Those are actually 3 different links!
    mathwhiz9

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 am

• Apparently you Hate mobile so I can't look at it until I'm in on my computer. Also, that's one hell of a blog bangerz.
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:56 am

• This is really cool. I might give this game a try. I am currently working on a card game of my own I wondered if you had any advice on making components, particularly tokens/counters that would be great. Just a tip, you mentioned that you might post this on Kickstarter. If you do put it up on Reddit as well. It is a great way to get a lot of people looking at your game and eventually supporting it.
    chariot rider

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:34 am

• Thanks for the quick comments guys!

This is actually what I consider version 5 of the game. Every time I sat down to play one of the previous four versions, I ran into some game-breaking issue and had to restructure it. The core mechanics and theme have stuck though.

Likewise this is also basically version 5 of the components. Started with some index cards that I wrote onto, then upgraded Excel cards with just words. Now Ive got some images (took from Google Creative Commons) on them. I've actually just recently (as in the past three days) hired an artist and Graphic Designer. It's suggested that you have one of each but I got lucky and found an artist I liked that also does the Graphic Design work. If you look up the game "Quartermaster General" on Board Game Geek, he did the art and GD for that game.

I'm doing a lot of research daily into what it takes to design a game and publish it on Kickstarter. It's a shit ton more work than you would expect. The first two days of the KS are the most important so you have to build up hype, get early reviews, get your art nearly finished *before* you even know if it will fund. Which is kinda scary but it forces you to be prepared.

I hope the rules make sense - but please if they don't, let me know.

Chariot- for early components, I just went to Michael's and got some wood pieces, paper and such. The first prototype was me literally writing on cut pieces of paper. I still use some of those pieces for my version 5 prototype but I've obviously replaced my index cards with some computerized cards. When I think I have the game 99% complete, I'm going to make about 10 prototypes using

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

which is a great site where you can fairly cheaply make a prototype of a game. Obviously you don't have to mass order components but its inexpensive enough to get some good pieces together to send out to reviewers and playtest at conventions, etc.

Reddit is a great idea. I will definitely have to post something there once I have a thorough prototype.

At the moment, I'm focusing on coming up with a name for a company, creating an LLC, working with my artist (I can't wait to see what he comes up with), and continuing playtesting. My FLGS has game night on Thursdays so I'm taking my game there for the first time tonight to get some random playtests.

Also, I need a name for the game. Perhaps something about dogs, dogs escaping, treats, etc. The best I can come up with is "Off the Leash" but I don't *love* it.

Oh also I forgot to mention: Nojo my blog is actually shit. I haven't really kept up with it - I really need to get on that!
    bangerz

Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:07 am

• bangerz wrote: so I forgot to mention: Nojo my blog is actually shit. I haven't really kept up with it - I really need to get on that!

Sarcasm alert. Ring ring ring the sarcasm police are here
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:50 pm

• bangerz wrote:Also, I need a name for the game. Perhaps something about dogs, dogs escaping, treats, etc. The best I can come up with is "Off the Leash" but I don't *love* it.

If you wanted to be really corny you could do "The Hound Up". This was the best I could come up with at the moment.
    chariot rider

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:47 pm

• I've been reading over the instructions and I think I understand all of the game concepts and how it flows. I do have a few comments tho.

It's my understanding bonus cards are only calculated at the end of the game. One bonus card however is "purchase exactly 8 leashes." This seems like a really small number to me. In a 3 players game you are fighting over 31 dogs. To only be able to return 8 of those dogs seems like a big handicap if you do go for that card. With more players it handicaps you even more. The only reward for the card is 2 points which doesn't seem to justify it. Maybe increase the number of leashes bought or increase the point reward for completing the mission(maybe even up to 5 points.) perhaps it does work in the actual game, but in theory it doesn't make sense to me. Return less dogs than any other player could also be really crippling but that would depend on how many less dogs you have so it's slightly justifiable just putting it out for consideration.

Also there is a "give one dog to any player." How can you do that? Is it a choice you make or is it forced upon you under certain situations?

If you have a leash must you use it if you still have dogs to use it on? Example: I have 11 leashes and 9 dogs (assuming nothing like 3 Dalmatians) Must I turn in every dog? What if I want to withhold a dog because it will make me fail a bonus card?

Another bonus card is "return: 1 chihuahua" I was under the impression that's impossible. Aren't chihuahua's put back into the deck and not returned? If it is possible 3 points is a very generous reward for returning only one of them.

I don't have the neighbor cards either. I'm assuming they simply aren't created yet?

Maybe increase Dalmatians to 4 points since they take 2 leashes but that's just my opinion and I haven't done a game yet so take it or leave it.

I've also been thinking about strategies for myself in this game and a lot of the seem to have stacking (get a lot of poodles plus poodle bonuses, a lot of different breeds for pugs, a lot of mutts for golden retrievers, a lot of Scottish terriers) which is like subterfuge :lol:

I think that's all I got for now. I'll ask more if any new questions come up. Cool game so far bangerz. (I like the condition for the who the first player is too. Very creative.)
    Last edited by aclonicy on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    My faith has found a resting place,
    Not in device or creed;
    I trust the ever-living One,
    His wounds for me shall plead.
    I need no other argument,
    I need no other plea,
    It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.
    aclonicy

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:57 pm

• I had an unrelated thought. Since you posted this publically online, couldn't someone steal it? Idk if that's even a common thing in gaming but it is a thought.
    My faith has found a resting place,
    Not in device or creed;
    I trust the ever-living One,
    His wounds for me shall plead.
    I need no other argument,
    I need no other plea,
    It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.
    aclonicy

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 pm

• PATENT IT COPYRIGHT LLC RIGHTS RESERVED TRADE MARK
    nojo34

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic and social

Information