Idea for Private Matches

Strategy, feedback, or anything SUBTERFUGE-related
Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:21 am

• Allow game creator to optionally set a period of each day when in game time does not advance. For example, they might choose midnight to 8:00 AM PST, to allow players to sleep in a friendly casual game.

Messes up the use of the sort "day" in UI in a few places unfortunately.
    forged

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:16 am

• that's been brought up multiple times, and we'd love to do it if we can. the problem is that we've yet to have a game where people are in the same time zone, or even close to the same time zone. so if we add this feature, it would probably rarely be used.
    ron

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:32 am

• I can see the value - but sounds like a wait and see feature.

Once the user base explodes, I could see casual games pop up with people that do live close together (I can totally picture it with friends where I'm from) - but I'd wait to see if the need is there.
    phosfiend

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:03 pm

• I think this can still have value. I often make sneak attacks at 1am EST before going to bed hoping to get my sped up pirate or admiral or something to attack before they see what is happening.

Even having the clock not run from 12am PST to 6am PST would give EST and PST the ability to at least vacate an outpost that was under sneak attack. I don't need to see every move, but 8 hrs is a pretty long time to have things fall apart in the mid/late game when mega boats are boosted and queens are vulnerable
    aireye

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:05 pm

• Also, I'd like a mod that ran 9am PST to 9pm PST, but at 2x or 4x speed. That would be fun for a group that checked in hourly.
    aireye

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:30 am

• noel and i just chatted about this. one way to make this kind of thing work is to have it as an option in game creation. by default, games would run 24/7, but you could opt to start a "daytime game". when a player tries to join a daytime game, they will get a confirmation dialog that shows them when the game will be active using their local time.

this would hopefully address the danger of a player in an incompatible time zone joins a game that is only active while they are asleep. that player will inevitably do poorly and/or quit, both of which will have a negative impact on the other players' experience (not to mention that they will not be able to communicate effectively with anyone!)

so yeah, this is now on our list. probably a post-release feature, but we like it and plan to add it.
    ron

Return to General

Information