Forum Etiquette

Strategy, feedback, or anything SUBTERFUGE-related
Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:06 pm

• These are just some generally well known rules of the internet that people should know when posting or using the forums. Hopefully this helps those who haven't been a part of a forum or online community.

1. Post topics in the proper Section.
    This is generally just newcomers but still can be avoided.

2. Before posting a new topic, search the forums to see if it has been discussed.
    Because of all the "monetization" ideas we created a 'mega-thread' of monetization ideas and that somehow got lost and there's billions of single posts about it. So try to search/find previous topics before creating new ones.

3. Don't bump threads unless it is important (like a tournament or something).

4. When quoting, only include relevant text.
    Nobody wants to re-read a 2-page comment just to see that you reply with "I agree".

5. Don't post circular logic.
    If you are in an argument but only have one point, don't keep posting "but logic." "But what about logic?" "You forgot logic." As this causes circular arguments and no new points can be brought up because we are stuck talking about "logic" (maybe people just don't want to talk about logic.).

6. Be friendly!
    Sure arguments may arise but don't make a personal vandetta just because someone likes to hire an Intel officer over a princess for their first hire.

7. No flaming or post farming.
    Don't just constantly reply to the same person on the same thread when you could have gotten a hotel room together. I mean... Wait what?? Take it to private messages. Or if someone is flaming, just stop replying or as a bystander, point out that they are flaming and convince them to take a few hours away from the forums.

8. Necroing.
    I know I said "before posting a new topic search for past topics.", but if you find a dead topic, try not to bring it back to life unless it is very relevant to something. Most likely if it is a dead post, then everyone has already had their say. If you really have to necro, a better option would be "Hey, I found a relevant thread here: http://www.... rather than bringing two topics about the same thing to the front page.

9. Enjoy the forums!
    Feel free to comment with more 'rules' and I can edit my post to include them!

Edits:
    [Jan 5th, 2016]Added colors! Re-formatted, fixed spelling errors.
    [Jan 18th, 2016] Fixed wrong year in Edit 1, Spelling error in title.
    Last edited by r10t-- on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
    R10t--
    Software Engineering student by day, avid gamer by night.
    r10t--

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:33 pm

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We're all going to die. Come watch TV."
    janitorialduties

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:56 am

• Stickied.
    stefan

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:05 am

• r10t-- wrote:4. When quoting, only include relevant text. Nobody wants to re-read a 2-page comment just to see that you reply with "I agree".

...I agree. (+1)
    kevlargolem

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:17 pm

• r10t-- wrote:These are just some generally well known rules of the internet that people should know when posting or using the forums. Hopefully this helps those who haven't been a part of a forum or online community.

2. Before posting a new topic, search the forums to see if it has been discussed.
    Because of all the "monetization" ideas we created a 'mega-thread' of monetization ideas and that somehow got lost and there's billions of single posts about it. So try to search/find previous topics before creating new ones.

Nobody wants to re-read a 2-page comment just to see that you reply with "I agree".

If you are in an argument but only have one point, don't keep posting "but logic." "But what about logic?" "You forgot logic." As this causes circular arguments and no new points can be brought up because we are stuck talking about "logic" (maybe people just don't want to talk about logic.).

6. Be friendly!
    Sure arguments may arise but don't make a personal vandetta just because someone likes to hire an Intel officer over a princess for their first hire.

Don't just constantly reply to the same person on the same thread when you could have gotten a hotel room together. I mean... Wait what?? Take it to private messages. Or if someone is flaming, just stop replying or as a bystander, point out that they are flaming and convince them to take a few hours away from the forums.

8. Necroing.
    I know I said "before posting a new topic search for past topics.", but if you find a dead topic, try not to bring it back to life unless it is very relevant to something. Most likely if it is a dead post, then everyone has already had their say. If you really have to necro, a better option would be "Hey, I found a relevant thread here: http://www.... rather than bringing two topics about the same thing to the front page.

9. Enjoy the forums!

Edits:
    [Jan 5th, 2015]Added colors! Re-formatted, fixed spelling errors.

Ok :P
    "I work for the company. But don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy."
    carter j burke

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:41 am

• carter j burke wrote:
    r10t-- wrote:These are just some generally well known rules of the internet that people should know when posting or using the forums. Hopefully this helps those who haven't been a part of a forum or online community.

6. Be friendly!

8. Necroing.

9. Enjoy the forums!

Edits:
    [Jan 5th, 2015]Added colors! Re-formatted, fixed spelling errors.

Ok :P

If I could punch you right now, i would ;)
    My faith has found a resting place,
    Not in device or creed;
    I trust the ever-living One,
    His wounds for me shall plead.
    I need no other argument,
    I need no other plea,
    It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.
    aclonicy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:44 am

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:47 am

• crisismana wrote:you two can punch each other here ;) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1542 just apply there.

I would, but I have the L1 curse.
    My faith has found a resting place,
    Not in device or creed;
    I trust the ever-living One,
    His wounds for me shall plead.
    I need no other argument,
    I need no other plea,
    It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.
    aclonicy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:11 pm

• I was quoting for emphasis. :) lol there's always one guy... ;)
    "I work for the company. But don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy."
    carter j burke

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:30 pm

• aclonicy wrote:
    crisismana wrote:you two can punch each other here ;) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1542 just apply there.

I would, but I have the L1 curse.

Hey bruh don't drag me into this
    Loki: I have an army!
    Tony Stark: We have a Discord.

Earth's Mightiest Discord Server!

A new challenger appears! Come join the revolution!

P.S. Those are actually 3 different links!
    mathwhiz9

Next

Return to General

Information