Fixing the multiboxing issue

Strategy, feedback, or anything SUBTERFUGE-related
Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:26 pm

• As most of you know, reported cases of multiboxing are rising. So I decided to email the devs to see what they could do. In my email I detailed the problem, multiboxing, as well as the "Game Spamming" issue that was taking place. I also included the idea of giving some trusted individuals power within the game, courtesy of menace.

Here was Ron's response:

hi noah, and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

first, i cancelled out all those spam games and deactivated the accounts that created them. they'll probably create new accounts so it's not a permanent solution.

second, we're planning to do a small update in the not to distant future where we will address this issue. possibly by only allowing users to have only one public game waiting to start at any given time. we have some other ideas, but i think this will be the best solution.

with regard to multiboxing, that's a much more complicated problem. looking at IP addresses won't work because you might have people playing from the same house or same office that would have the same IP without multiboxing. we could also check if they're playing on the same device, and those with the same device / IP in the same game would be considered multiboxing, but as soon as people figure that out they can just play on different devices. lots of people have a phone and a tablet, for example. still, these things might improve the situation so we'll discuss and see what's feasible. it's definitely something we'd like to take action on because it can ruin the experience for honest players.

right now, the best way to deal with multiboxing is to play private games and only invite people you want to play with.

we'll also discuss the possibility of giving some community leaders the ability to ban players and cancel bullshit games. have to think that one through first though.

feel free to post any of this to the forum, by the way.

and again, thanks for bringing this up. we don't follow the forums any more but we still read your guys' emails!

ron
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:56 pm

• I saw "small update" and started grinning so hard. You done well Nojo, and thanks Ron (even though he won't see this)!!!!!!

Also, one of the game spammers rejoined subterfuge, and slightly changed their name. Ron was right in saying it wasn't a true solution, but at least maybe it taught that player something. :roll:
    Loki: I have an army!
    Tony Stark: We have a Discord.

Earth's Mightiest Discord Server!

A new challenger appears! Come join the revolution!

P.S. Those are actually 3 different links!
    mathwhiz9

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:38 pm

• mathwhiz9 wrote:I saw "small update" and started grinning so hard. You done well Nojo, and thanks Ron (even though he won't see this)!!!!!!
    I was in PE when i read that, and my friends asked why I was happy. I think i did well also :)
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:12 am

• nojo34 wrote:
    we'll also discuss the possibility of giving some community leaders the ability to ban players and cancel bullshit games. have to think that one through first though

Terrible idea. - At a maximum, a select few should be given a new trophy 'Citizens portal', that has a shinny badge icon. This few and select task force should then be given the maximum power to award an another new medal;' suspicious activity '

And that's still a terrible idea.

Multi boxing is a fundamental part of the game. You have no option but to just live with it.
    Supreme Leader; TopKilla
    topkilla

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:37 pm

• topkilla wrote:Multi boxing is a fundamental part of the game. You have no option but to just live with it.

Add him to the list of suspected multiboxers. :P
    My new party trick:
    I swallow 2 pieces of string and an hour later they come out of my ass tied together.
    I shit you knot.
    whos sayin

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:47 pm

• whos sayin wrote:
    topkilla wrote:Multi boxing is a fundamental part of the game. You have no option but to just live with it.

Add him to the list of suspected multiboxers. :P

LOL. You've been added to his troll and gank list. :)
    "I work for the company. But don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy."
    carter j burke

Return to General

Information