How Subterfuge influences our lives.

Strategy, feedback, or anything SUBTERFUGE-related
Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:33 pm

• So if you love Suberfuge enough to stick around here a whole year after it's release you probably noticed that because you play 'sub game' you look at the world differently, and it has made some sort of impact in your lives. I know that's the case for me.
    Some of the smaller things for me are how when playing other strategy games, I focus more on diplomacy than tactics because, lets face it, all games need diplomacy in on form or another. Another thing is i noticed my skills at persuading people have increased, in what i can only say is a side affect of play Subterfuge.

Though the most influential aspect of this game is the community. Back on January third, just a day after i started my first game i made my first post. At that time, and for maybe 6 months onward I was going through some personal issues in life. However; you guys made me feel welcome, all of you regulars here. The forums and game are just amazing all because of this community. Fast forward today and I have 2024 posts (464 in PBM) and for some reason people voted me a moderator. The community is what makes this game for me, it's what keeps it fresh. From 500+ messages from bangerz story time, to Roadkiehl inviting me into his TF2 team. Okay, thats my rant and ill end it before juanma yells at me again <3

The whole purpose of this thread before i went on my tangent was: How has subterfuge influenced you?
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

• Like I alluded to in my ode to Bangerz, this game taught me that you can have a virtual group of friends that bring just as much to your life as those in the physical world.

I didn't even own a cell phone until 2008, and until 2014 it was a Blackberry, upon which I acquired an iPhone 5. Never was one for games but for some reason Subterfuge intrigued me in the app store that day. Now I've met dozens of unique and funny people on these forums and in the games. That what Subterfuge has given me.

Plus I guess I am not bad at the game, so as I track ever closer to 40 years old the game also keeps the competitive fire of my salad days alive and well!
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds...
    radioactivity

• Two words: trust issues.

Even though I'm growing more sociable (and life doesn't let me play as much), my experiences in the various situations I've had to deal with here have taken a toll on my ability to rely on others. There's always someone who wishes me to fail so they can shine or take the credit, and this game has opened my eyes to this possibility in the real world. Though I laugh openly as if with friends, I always take stock of my surroundings and I never get too close with anyone.

You've all screwed my chances at intimacy.
    There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    silverberg

• I've been playing Subterfuge for just over a year now. I started on October 16, 2015.

I wouldn't quite say it's influenced the way that I look at the world, but it has had a significant impact on my day-to-day life.

Did I just wake up? Check Subterfuge.
    Do I have free time? Check Subterfuge.
    Can I get away with checking Subterfuge when I shouldn't be? Check Subterfuge.
    Should I be doing something else? Check Subterfuge.
    Is it time for me to go to bed? Check Subterfuge.
    Is it four in the morning because I was up all night checking Subterfuge and now that I've finally decided to get some sleep, my phone buzzed again? Check Subterfuge.

Other than sucking up all of my attention, though, I honestly think that by playing, my overall tactical thinking has improved a great deal, and my ability to read people has gone up slightly too. Unfortunately, war tactics and diplomatic messages aren't quite things that are super useful in the real world, so I don't have any way of properly gauging whether or not this is true.

Overall, Subterfuge is a pretty big part of my life, and I don't really have a problem with that.
    Words win wars, not weapons.
    escher

• It's been good and bad.

I've made some real genuine friends from this stupid game. Real friends you talk to about other things not just subterfuge - in the game chat and out. One day maybe we will meet in person. It's also just a shit ton of fun- the game itself.

However, the game has taken up a lot of my time and caused me to check my phone when i shouldn't be. Waking up at 3 am to direct a sub, checking in the middle of dinner when i'm out with my fiancé or family or ppl I shouldn't be rude to. Also, I've met some people on her i genuinely dislike and that has caused me some stress and made many games not fun.

If i still play it means the good has outweighed the bad.
    bangerz

• I now have super human thumb skills.
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds...
    radioactivity

• Been forced to come up with different ways to preserve battery life
    There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    silverberg

• I remember my very first game. I was dominating, and already obsessed, but set to leave for a camping trip with my girlfriend about four days in. She had Verizon, I had Sprint. Verizon has much better coverage in Oregon (where I am from) so I preemptively (and secretly) downloaded subz onto her phone and put the app in a folder that she never looked at. That evening she walked away to piss behind a tree or do something and I went for her phone to put some orders in. She came back and saw what I was doing, and thus Sophia's extreme disdain for Subterfuge was born. SOMETIMES when we are both super drunk she will let me talk to her about my games or new friends or cool strategic moves. But mostly she is just annoyed by the app and my irrational obsession.

I don't live in Oregon anymore, I moved away about eight months ago. Last week we were skyping and I received a subz notification. BEEP! I think her eyes about rolled out of her head she was so unamused. I love this game. She caught me multiple times during the call peeking at my phone, as my game was coming down to the wire (you guys understand!!!) and her hate for subz was rekindled.
    dane69

• All the games I'm in finished yesterday. Which means i just got a great night of sleep.
    Supreme Leader; TopKilla
    topkilla

• nojo34 wrote:From 500+ messages from bangerz story time, to Roadkiehl inviting me into his TF2 team.

Invite me too. I need people to play with
    My new party trick:
    I swallow 2 pieces of string and an hour later they come out of my ass tied together.
    I shit you knot.
    whos sayin

Next

Return to General

Information