Complete beginners talk Subterfuge on gaming podcast

Strategy, feedback, or anything SUBTERFUGE-related

• Dropped the lovely Ron an e-mail asking if it was okay to post this here and he's said yes, so I hope you find this interesting :D

I run a small gaming podcast with some pals of mine (called Staying In) and our most recent episode has 20 minutes of Subterfuge chat. We begin with our first thoughts on the game, then exploring some of the strategies we employed as complete beginners, and finish up with what we thought of the game (spoilers: it's one of our team's favourite mobile game now).

The discussion starts at 25:10 into Episode 30, which you can find on all the usual podcast platforms, or direct here - https://stayingin.podbean.com/e/subterfuge-one-handed-games-and-the-dandy-cock-staying-in-episode-30/

I'm sure many of your are seasoned experts at Subterfuge, so I'd love to hear your feedback on how we approached the game, as well as any tips you might have on how we might take our strategies to the next level.

Thanks again, and enjoy!
    xeroxeroxero

• It was an interesting podcast on subterfuge. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the game.
    I'm also honored you think the forums is a place for advanced strategies and the best players. I'll take that compliment gladly.
    Yes, the tutorial is pretty lackluster and only really introduces the mechanics, not the style of the game. As a result, the entry level required for newbies is quite high.
    We've hung in on player count pretty well, although we realize it'll eventually fall off.
    I have lost hours upon hours of sleep to this game. It infects both my waking and sleeping mind as some of you pointed out. It can be very draining in intense situations. So, as you pointed out, it does take the right kind of person to enjoy the game.
    Im sure a few of would be willing to play a game with you guys to show off our "expert strategies"
    I hope you can keep enjoying subterfuge.

EDIT: I noticed your description says subterfuge is a game of strategy and democracy which, while intriguing, isn't exactly right.....
    Last edited by aclonicy on Fri May 05, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
    My faith has found a resting place,
    Not in device or creed;
    I trust the ever-living One,
    His wounds for me shall plead.
    I need no other argument,
    I need no other plea,
    It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.
    aclonicy

• I'll listen when ii get home, then i'll give my thoughts. From what Aclo said, im intriuged
    Simply put, my job here is to keep the forums afloat through any means necessary
    nojo34

• I think your podcast was great, very entertaining and insightful
    I agree also that the tutorials don't provide the information to start off properly, since the game has so many levels of depth and strategy.
    One thing that you guys may have missed when explaining the game is the depth. Besides the diplomacy (I'll get to that soon), each individual move and attack or even just movement of resources requires intense calculation. You need to be aware of everything around you, and keep track of things that have left your area of sight. Your attacks need to be calculated to guarantee success, and your defences need to be readily available and reactive.
    A strategy I used as a new player was the feeding of false information. Your game was all newly-introduced players. This allows for the full ability to feed false information. First step - like most of you followed - is to ally with all of your neighbours (I recommend leaving one neighbour open to allow for an opportunity to attack and expand). But next, you need to act like the fake friend. Tell lies. Tell player A "oh man I was just told that player B is going to attack player C, who told me he will attack you". You need to throw in true facts that will be verified soon (i.e. "heads up there is a sub with 10 drillers from Player A coming near your side"), to build trust and show you are looking out for them. They will then trust your false information, which puts you in power. In turn, I recommend taking everything said to you with a grain of salt.
    Coordination is key. Working on truces is big, and what we here on the forums love is the "Non-Aggressive Pact" (NAP). This NAP is an agreement between two players that says that you must give 24 hour notice before attacking another person. This forces an alignment, or at least peace. This also allows you to go to the public chat if your NAP is betrayed, thus making everyone else turn on your new enemy.
    I speak for all of us here when we say we're happy that you guys enjoy the game, we look forward to you being a part of the community, and we also greatly appreciate the publicity you've brought to the game. I would loooove to see you guys make a special that you recount games you've played, or even better a YouTube series of your games. That would be great! I think you guys mentioned the CoolGhosts guys who played this last year, and I think you guys would be great to watch do something similar. You're hilarious and have a great podcast, so a weekly series might also bring a bigger audience! Please consider it!
    Thanks again!
    A wise guy's always right; even when he's wrong he's right
    -Lefty, Donnie Brasco
    400th Page TPBM
    coltspaesano

• Thanks so much for taking a listen, everyone. This community really is smashing :D From all the posts about continuing to support the game and player input on balancing and so on, it's so obvious how passionate everyone is, and yet welcoming to new players like us.

There were some really good tips and points made in here, especially about spreading false information based on smaller truthes, and I've pointed the rest of the guys to this post for tactics in future games. I think next time I'll be making MUCH more use of the time wheel to make better judgements!
    xeroxeroxero

• Enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. Although the random sound effects (water poured into a cup?) and random facts were...interesting.

Just adding to the discussion of lying.
    Just like in real life, a good lie is grounded in some truth. However, if you get caught out, trust is eroded immediately and permanently. It's very hard to win back. If an ally finds out you've been lying they may feel so betrayed they throw the game and their goal becomes to ruin your chances of winning. Being honest with an ally generally leads to great rewards.

The game is a fascinating sandbox of human psychology. There's a sticky thread about player strategies you should read because there are so many tactics one can utilise in-game.
    "I work for the company. But don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy."
    carter j burke

• carter j burke wrote:Just adding to the discussion of lying.
    Just like in real life, a good lie is grounded in some truth. However, if you get caught out, trust is eroded immediately and permanently. It's very hard to win back. If an ally finds out you've been lying they may feel so betrayed they throw the game and their goal becomes to ruin your chances of winning. Being honest with an ally generally leads to great rewards.

The game is a fascinating sandbox of human psychology. There's a sticky thread about player strategies you should read because there are so many tactics one can utilise in-game.

I think this was one of the most significant reasons why anonymous mode was added.
    Kings aren't OP

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    ----Albert Einstein
    tw2000

• tw2000 wrote:
    carter j burke wrote:Just adding to the discussion of lying.

I think this was one of the most significant reasons why anonymous mode was added.

I gotta disagree. Liars always win and usually the person being lied to isn't in a position to be able to get back at the liar. Even if you completely betray an ally, the others around you won't attack you for it. Because they don't think they will be backstabbed. If you need any proof, look at the WotW game where aclo was losing the whole time but was able to win by simply backstabbing me and no one did anything about it.
    My new party trick:
    I swallow 2 pieces of string and an hour later they come out of my ass tied together.
    I shit you knot.
    whos sayin

Return to General

Information