Sharing Information Ideas

Strategy, feedback, or anything SUBTERFUGE-related
Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:46 pm

• So I love this game. I think the diplomacy is incredibly well done, and I love the fast-forward function. But there is one thing I'd like to see:

You see, it can be difficult to coordinate with my allies. It would be nice to be able to "share orders" with your allies, allowing them to see a certain sub that is scheduled for the future on their map. It'll make prediction and coordination way easier.
    I get that this could make stabbing people in the back harder ("Why won't you share that order with me?"), so maybe you could add a "fake share order" function as well.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:38 pm

• It's funny you should mention that, because I had a similar idea. I got this idea from seeing the war maps seen in Game of Thrones, where the generals move the pieces around to plan their next move against the enemy.

The idea is setting up a sixth tab, the War Room. It's like a cross between the text chat and the time machine - you can text chat and at the same time show other players how the attack will progress, when the subs will be sent, and so on. The catch is, while you can place misleading information about subs and outposts, or forbid certain players from entering your War Room, everyone in your War Room will see the exact same thing. Therefore, trust will depend on who and how long other players can access the War Room. The War Room would also make it easier to send orders to non-native English speakers, so they can better understand what you are trying to do.
    jasonjie88

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:21 am

• It's funny you should bring up Game of Thrones as a reference for this, because GRRM always talks about the impact of communication on war. He has specifically set up a world where the main form of communication (ravens or riders) can be intercepted, altered or provide false information. An army's war intelligence is specifically dependent on the honesty of those providing the communication. A lot of times they only know about battles in other parts of the world through second hand accounts, sometimes leading to exaggerations or underestimates.

I think one of the strongest parts of this game is that we ARE dependent upon our allies telling us what they're doing, rather than being able to see it. You HAVE to rely on communication. That's part of exactly what makes this game different.
    firebrigade

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:05 am

• that's exactly the reason we cut out the "sending screenshot" feature. we want there to be room for deception for those who wish to use it.
    ron

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:48 am

• Ok, I get that screenshots are a bad idea. However, if I can see my ally's outpost and how many drillers he has there, I don't see the harm in sharing orders.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:34 am

• if you share a screenshot from within the game, you can't lie, and the recipient knows that. if you just type the info in a message, you can lie, and the recipient has to take that into consideration.
    ron

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:49 am

• Right... I'm not sure if I'm being clear or not... I'm suggesting an in-game function, not screenshot sharing. So I can show orders on my ally's map, real or fake, for their use. I could still be lying, but it streamlines the coordination in the game.
    To be clear, this isn't a screenshot, and it doesn't have to be real. It's just as easy to lie with this function, I'd say.
    roadkiehl

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:53 am

• You could very well be right. I just don't think we're on the same page here.
    roadkiehl

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:21 am

• i don't think you understand how much work is involved in creating a sharing feature that allows you to lie :)

it's kind of a non-starter.
    ron

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:28 pm

• Direct communication by chatting with other players is the best way to lie to someone or manipulate him, you don't need nothing else ... Words are the most powerful element of the game (well, and a big fleet too ^^), i don't think your suggestion will bring something essential to it
    nneil

Return to General

Information