Strategy, feedback, or anything SUBTERFUGE-related
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:48 am

• Currently there is no drawback in lying about your alliances, so everybody lies and backstabs. Essentialy it keeps the game at FFA. It would be good to have some kind of reputation system to add benefits for keeping your promises. This could be done by adding a status button declaring your neutral, allied or at war with other players. Acting contradictionairy will reduce your reputation. An alternative could be some kind of feedback system by players themself.
    zxander

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:44 am

• you can keep (private) notes on players. anything where your reputation is subject to the whims of others will be gamed to negative effect.
    ron

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:57 am

• For what it's worth, I think the game is more fun when people backstab. As long as no one backstabs me.

But really, I think it's that uncertainty that creates tension in the game.
    Bigredsk10

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:35 am

• The point is not that backstabbing is no fun or should be banned. The point is that there should be a trade of if you break your alliance. Forcing you to choose the moment you start backstabbing more carefully.
    zxander

Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:20 am

• I mean, I feel like the trade-off is already there: you've lost the trust of your ally, and possibly everyone else in the game. To institute a formalized system of alliances I think would detract from the informal nature of the diplomacy here.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:39 am

• You can share with the other players in game that the one player has backstabbed you so they become weary of any agreements they have or make with that player.

Then, you can also make a private note on that player that they backstabbed in a game with you.
    "If we don't know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions." - Colonel Goodhead
    Braxo

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:05 am

• I think the actual system don't need to be change, because if you backstab someone you have already lost your reputation in the game you are playing : the one you betrayed is going to tell what you did, so the others will keep notes on you and then, for your next game, you will be automatically rejected if there's someone who know you're a traitor ^^

And it brings to the problem of the anonimity we have talk about in another topic
    nneil

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:02 pm

• Isnt that the point? The trickery? The dishonesty? That's why the play on words, no?

sub·ter·fuge
    ˈsəbtərˌfyo͞oj/
    noun
    noun: subterfuge; plural noun: subterfuges
    deceit used in order to achieve one's goal.
    synonyms: trickery, intrigue, deviousness, deceit, deception, dishonesty, cheating, duplicity, guile, cunning, craftiness, chicanery, pretense, fraud, fraudulence More
    "the use of subterfuge by journalists"
    trick, hoax, ruse, wile, ploy, stratagem, artifice, dodge, bluff, pretense, deception, fraud, blind, smokescreen;
    informalcon, scam
    "a disreputable subterfuge"
    jvan

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:10 pm

• jvan wrote:Isnt that the point? The trickery? The dishonesty? That's why the play on words, no?

sub·ter·fuge
    ˈsəbtərˌfyo͞oj/
    noun
    synonyms: trickery, intrigue, deviousness, deceit, deception, dishonesty, cheating, duplicity, guile, cunning, craftiness, chicanery, pretense, fraud, fraudulence More
    trick, hoax, ruse, wile, ploy, stratagem, artifice, dodge, bluff, pretense, deception, fraud, blind, smokescreen;
    informalcon, scam

Glad someone made that clear.
    "Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd for that?" -Hoban 'Wash' Washburn, Serenity
    roadkiehl

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:23 am

• jvan wrote:Isnt that the point? The trickery? The dishonesty? That's why the play on words, no?

sub·ter·fuge
    ˈsəbtərˌfyo͞oj/
    noun
    informalcon, scam

The words i bolded are the most representatives of what a subterfuge is for me. You don't necessary have to backstab someone ...
    I prefer being a double agent 8-)
    nneil

Return to General

Information