Is this intended?

Strategy, feedback, or anything SUBTERFUGE-related
Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:42 am

• In my current game, light blue is launching an attack at one of my generators. Not wanting to send too many drillers there because I want to avoid spreading out my forces too much, I sent exactly as many drillers as were needed to make the fight end with 0 drillers on each side. When I simulated the battle, it ended in my victory. Content, I decided to go to sleep. When I woke up today, I had to realize that when I simulated a different battle, the previous one would end in a loss all of a sudden. Confused about that, I decided to look into it again. Both the subs light blue sent are blinking red, meaning they are about to lose the fight, so how come I would lose instead? I first thought it was a bug, until I noticed the sneaky bastard had hidden another sub under his first one, carrying 1 measly driller that would win the fight for him.

Is this intended? I think it's sort of cheap to exploit the way the GUI overlays stuff to hide units from others unless they zoom in on the map. I get that this game is all about tactics and fooling your enemy, but this is the kind of fooling I think is really shady. It leaves me with a bitter aftertaste. I can understand if the devs think that it's part of the game and if they say so, I will accept it, but I would still be slightly disappointed. What do you guys think?

Note that I am not salty about losing the gen. I will have it back in no time. I don't even know why light blue bothers with it, but that's the charme of the game, I guess. That you can't see into the other player's heads to understand their logic (or lack thereof) All I am curious about is if this sort of mechanic is intended or not.
    endlave

Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:29 am

• I do that often, muhahaha... but slightly differently.
    It's pretty easy to counter though... Just advance time and see what happens after all the drills/subs hit.

edit - btw
    Both the subs light blue sent are blinking red, meaning they are about to lose the fight

That blinking red light (on the subs) means a losing battle? I thought it only meant a battle is about to happen...

Also, if you did simulate the battle, you would have seen it. There is something else going on.
    nmid

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:28 am

• nmid wrote:That blinking red light (on the subs) means a losing battle? I thought it only meant a battle is about to happen...

Also, if you did simulate the battle, you would have seen it. There is something else going on.

Yes, it does, to my understanding. They only started to blink when I sent more forces to the outpost than they could manage to defeat.

And the funny thing is, I DID simulate the fight beforehand. That's how I knew how many drillers to send. It was fine yesterday, only to show a loss today. I dunno how that could be. He must have launched another sub right after I went to sleep or something.
    endlave

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:09 am

• agreed that the overlapping subs can be annoying sometimes. it's on our list of things we want to fix, but we won't be getting to it for a while. best thing to do for now is to be aware that this a possibility and watch out for it
    ron

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:48 am

• Yeah, the red blinking light means it will lose.

Hiding the subs was an early tactic to use, though with each new wave of players, it's new again.

However, it's a trick that only ever works once and when you know what to look for it doesn't work again.

With some tricks like that it's worth looking at the other players stats to see if they have played enough games to not be fooled by them.
    FateCreatr

Return to General

Information