Sentry not maximizing death toll

Found any bugs? Tell us!
Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:29 pm

• I have two subs in my sentry range, one is 73 and one is 59. The sentry starts shooting at the 73 (Image 1) but once the sub of 73 gets reduced below 54 (Image 2), the sentry does not change its target to maximize the amount of damage it deals and instead continues shooting at the sub with a lower amount of drillers (Image 3). I believe this is a bug as the sentry is supposed to maximize damage??
    Attachments
    image.png
    image.png (219.19 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
    image.png
    image.png (226.35 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
    image.png
    image.png (241.38 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
    R10t--
    Software Engineering student by day, avid gamer by night.
    r10t--

Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:13 am

• maybe a sentry range can make this clear, if it is a bug or not.
    crisismana

Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:10 pm

• Edit: Math Issues. Will be back with Better Math.
    Dog-hanging.gif
    Dog-hanging.gif (5.74 KiB) Viewed 3773 times

Hang in there!
    Last edited by janitorialduties on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
    "Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We're all going to die. Come watch TV."
    janitorialduties

Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:34 pm

• I think perhaps it sees that it will destroy the same amount of drillers no matter which it shoots (5% of 59 and 57 both round up to 3 right?), so it is targeting the closest one.
    And Janitor, from what I can see, that isn't true. In my time machine, I can see that the damage being done in my games is not based off the initial numbers. Also, it says in the sentries description that damage is rounded up, so 3.05 would become 4.
    "You want to believe that there’s one relationship in life that’s beyond betrayal. A relationship that’s beyond that kind of hurt. And there isn’t."
    -Caleb Carr
    v3xt

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:31 pm

• I'm not sure, the sub that it was shooting that got down below the other sub went: 65, 61, 57, 54, 51 then reached his outpost. I guess it is true either sub would only take 3 drillers damage but even after getting the sun down to 51 the laser still followed the sun with 51 (not sure if the laser changes when it shoots or when a new target is acquired)

However, if janitor is correct that changes my knowledge of sentries :p
    R10t--
    Software Engineering student by day, avid gamer by night.
    r10t--

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:47 pm

• r10t-- wrote:I'm not sure, the sub that it was shooting that got down below the other sub went: 65, 61, 57, 54, 51 then reached his outpost. I guess it is true either sub would only take 3 drillers damage but even after getting the sun down to 51 the laser still followed the sun with 51 (not sure if the laser changes when it shoots or when a new target is acquired)

However, if janitor is correct that changes my knowledge of sentries :p

OKA DOKEE! You are completely correct V3xt! A sentry does 5% of Subs driller count rounded up and calculates this . I have no idea where I got that idea that they go off initial driller count. Maybe a weird past experience dealing with Sentries...My bad for spreading false information!

But here is a super easy way to calculate how many drillers a sentry will take away and who it will target and when.
    all about the 20's
    Sub <or= to 20= -1
    Sub <or= to 40= -2
    Sub <or= to 60= -3
    Sub <or= to 80= -4
    As for your Case the sentry will only begin targeting another sub when it drops below a set of 20.

Example:
    Say you have a sub with 41 and a sub with 42. Sentry smacks 42 down by three subs to 39. Since it will now only hit that sub for 2 now it will then target sub 41!

Hope this helps.
    "Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We're all going to die. Come watch TV."
    janitorialduties

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:24 am

• I noticed the same issue this morning. I just ran some tests and it looks very much like the sentry is simply shooting the sub that is closest to it.

This makes for some pretty easy strategies for outmaneuvering it and totally devalues the sentry.
    obsidianrzr

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 pm

• obsidianrzr wrote:I noticed the same issue this morning. I just ran some tests and it looks very much like the sentry is simply shooting the sub that is closest to it.

This makes for some pretty easy strategies for outmaneuvering it and totally devalues the sentry.

Could I get a screen shot of this pls!
    janitorialduties

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:53 pm

• obsidianrzr wrote:I noticed the same issue this morning. I just ran some tests and it looks very much like the sentry is simply shooting the sub that is closest to it.

Sentries prioritize closer subs if and only if the amount of drillers that will be lost from the other subs will be the same.
    Kings aren't OP

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    ----Albert Einstein
    tw2000

Return to Bug reports

Information