Pirate + Assassin vs. pirate

Found any bugs? Tell us!
Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:59 pm

• Why wouldn't a sub with 69 drillers, an assassin, pirate, and navigator take out a sub with zero drillers and a pirate? My assassin should kill the pirate and end the sub's travel, no?
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (187.73 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
    Cuppa81

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:20 am

• It should. Send us an email from the game where this is happening using the "email us" tab so we can see what's going on.
    Noel
    Site Admin

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:25 am

• Never mind, I see it.

I'm afraid you ran into a targeting bug with the Pirate. The good news is that finding this will allow us to fix it. The bad news is that it won't change the past in your game, so even though your move was valid, the game didn't do the right thing.

Since it's a tournament game, if that was a crucial move, you could talk it over with the opponents and they're willing to gift the Pirate (and you can promise to park it out of the way) since it *should* have been dead.
    Noel
    Site Admin

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 am

• Thanks Noel! Unfortunately his pirate was targeting my martyr which blew the pirate and one oft outposts sky high. Think I can survive to the end still!
    Cuppa81

Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:12 pm

• I have a few other examples of weird pirate actions during our last game:

Scenario 1:
    When dealing with a sub that is travelling faster than the pirate sub there seems to be an issue with the intercept path calculation. You can see by the 2 images (2 different occurrences) that the game calculates an intercept path, that whilst technically accurate, is not the most efficient path. I believe the math needs revisiting and in the event of there being 2 possible intercept paths that the shortest route should be the one selected. My green line is where I believe the sub should have gone.
    ImageImage

Scenario 2:
    Not sure what happened here but instead of trying to intercept the enemy sub it headed straight towards the sub instead and tried to catch a faster moving sub. Funny to watch. One possible reason for this migt be because I had no visibility then technically I didn’t know where the sub was going in order to intercept? However considering the game was still showing me the target subs path I don’t see this being a valid reason.

Scenario 3:
    I launched my pirate/nav south bound towards an outpost (trying to fix the problem in scenario 1) and as you can see in the first image I had previously setup a reroute to target an enemy sub. However during this time I lost my last outpost and went dark and couldn’t see anything. However my reroute was still visible on the screen.
    After my reroute action was executed suddenly the enemy sub was visible again.
    Later on I rerouted my pirate/nav at an outpost (didn’t get image) and the originally targeted sub remained visible. And to add to my drama I never rerouted my pirate back onto the enemy sub yet I woke up this morning to find out they had intercepted each other unexpectedly and took out my queen who was in martyr range. I’m not so sure why the last bit happened, but it’s less important than the others.
    Champinoman

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:26 pm

• In your scenario 2, I feel the possible reason is it takes 10 minutes for the pirate sub to adjust itself to a route. It got caught in some weird targeting scenario where it Reroutes, waits 10 minutes to moves, finds out the route is not the best, so reroutes and waits 10 minutes. Repeating to show that weird pivoting move.

Here it is from some screens I took.

First image, my sub is moving along it's path, everything is fine.

I adjust my course towards on of my outposts so the smuggler kicks in it's speed modifier. Notice the Pirate is still facing it's original path. I think once my direction is set, the pirate see's the course change and now needs to adjust itself for 10 ticks.

The third image is after the pirate readjusted it's course, and it wasn't a good one for Champinoman. That intersection point puts the Martyr in range of his Queen (who had an Elder with it).

"If we don't know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions." - Colonel Goodhead
    Braxo

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:15 pm

• But even in your first image you can see that the waypointing for my sub isn't correct considering your sub is moving at x3 speed. It looks roughly correct if your sub was travelling at 1x speed.

And the rerouting you did could have caused the issue with my sub 'chasing'. However in my time machine (my gif) it should have just assumed your sub was going straight and not changing course. Yet it still did the chase manoeuvre.

I think most of the issues are caused by the main issue of the pirate not intercepting the smuggler sub properly. Once that is solved the other issues might fix themselves.
    Champinoman

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44 pm

• I've encountered scenario 2 a couple times in the past. Thankfully, it did not change the outcome of the game
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left"
    - Bertrand Russell
    subsinker0204

Return to Bug reports

Information